Teeth?

Guest MrE

Sorry, more rocks, although, the bottom rock in the first picture has some shell fossils on it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

These are fossil scallop shells (or their impressions):

post-423-0-51736100-1423165741_thumb.jpg

Now we might surmise that you are searching in an area with Neogene marine sediments.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Uhhhh. MrE, you have yet to share with us where you are finding your "rocks". And you continue to post pictures of suggestively shaped rocks. Have you done any research or at the very least google anything? If you educate yourself on how fossilized teeth, bones, etc. look like you will know what to look for your next time out.

Give a man a ID he is satisfied for a day.

Teach a man how to ID he is satisfied for a lifetime of happy fun fossiling.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

You have another rock in post 6. Looks like a metamorphic rock with mineral inclusions.

Find a nearby museum and familiarize yourself with what the fossils of your area look like.

Dinosaur fossils are extremely rare in California. You are posting an awful lot of rocks.

Regards,

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________

Three out of four pix in your last post are a Tyrannosaur skull. The odd one out is... um, well, I would like to hear why you think it might be a fossil. Fossils have the shape, texture and structure of whatever they are fossils of. Teeth, for example are coated with enamel... as fossils the enamel is almost always smooth and shiny whether the teeth came form sharks, mammals, dinosaurs. Fossil bone pieces will have bone texture... i.e. lots of pores on the inside, and smooth surface on the outside.

Teeth will NOT have scallops or any other shell imprinted in them.

Edited by jpc

Can you please tell us where you are finding your specimens?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

post-17500-0-80474700-1423170969_thumb.jpg

Three out of four pix in your last post are a Tyrannosaur skull. The odd one out is... um, well, I would like to hear why you think it might be a fossil. Fossils have the shape, texture and structure of whatever they are fossils of. Teeth, for example are coated with enamel... as fossils the enamel is almost always smooth and shiny whether the teeth came form sharks, mammals, dinosaurs. Fossil bone pieces will have bone texture... i.e. lots of pores on the inside, and smooth surface on the outside.

Teeth will NOT have scallops or any other shell imprinted in them.

If you cannot be forthcoming about where you are finding your rocks (so as to help you grasp where to look and for what), we will have to conclude that there is nothing we can do for you.

MrE

I'm beginning to think that the posts you are making are not really serious and made with mischievous intent. The power to change that perception is in your own hands. It would be nice if you were able to demonstrate otherwise and that you do actually want to learn something. The first thing to learn is that the approximate shape of a rock is no indication of a fossil just because it has a vague resemblance to something you've seen on the internet. The second is that location and stratigraphy are key to kinding fossils or identifying them afterwards. The third is that it's regarded as good manners to respond to questions on a forum when you are seeking information about your finds.

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I think I see why you are fixed on thinking "dinosaurs". Unfortunately, the one fossil-bearing rock you have posted is from Tertiary marine sediments, and so there is no hope whatever of finding dinosaur material in them.

[The maps seem to have been deleted by MrE while I was typing this reply... but I'll post it anyway.]

I suspect you’re suffering from a syndrome known as “over-enthusiastic Googling in isolation”. Have you perhaps found for example that a nodosaur skeleton was excavated from a Cretaceous marine environment in Carlsbad with the fossilised shells of oysters and scallops attached to the bones and convinced yourself you’ve found something similar?

It’s unsurprising to find associations like that in California, since it was almost completely covered by the ocean during the time of the dinosaurs. Finds are rare (as evidenced by your map) but the finds that have been made come from marine sediments and are believed to represent the remains of dead animals being carried out to sea by rivers from inland. Their bones then became potential surfaces on which various marine bivalves could attach themselves.

Just because your web-research shows that something is possible, does not mean that’s what you have found. You need to look critically at the detailed structure of your finds… and if you do so, you will realise that they are not bones, or teeth – whether from dinosaurs or anything else. Googling for stuff to support your predetermined belief is not the way to go. Familiarity with real fossils, critical observation and constructive discussion will move you forward immensely… but you seem to be determined not to engage in such debate.

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

5 Topics posted

10 Words in Titles

0 Responses to questions

0 Replys

Time to end the discussion

5 Topics posted

10 Words in Titles

0 Responses to questions

0 Replys

Time to end the discussion

And, information that was repeatedly requested (practically begged for) promptly deleted?!

The gentleman seems not to want the help he has asked for, or at least refuses to accept it.

This has been frustrating and time consuming, and we are done.

Seems that the enigmatic MrE, was just that, ... a mystery. :P

Goodbye.