Lake Texoma

Traviscounty

This guy at the Goodwill in Plano (amazing where you can get info) told me that you could park at Flowing Wells Resort on the Lake. Has anyone been there are have any good spots I can check out today? I have already been to the shoreline by the dam.

This guy at the Goodwill in Plano (amazing where you can get info) told me that you could park at Flowing Wells Resort on the Lake. Has anyone been there are have any good spots I can check out today? I have already been to the shoreline by the dam.

TC,

The place we usually go, and is referred to as ammonite flats, is at the spillway boat ramp immediately down river from Eisenhower Park. Park at the boat ramp then get ready for a hike. You will have to walk upriver, there is an old gravel road there, until you get to an old ramp. Walk down the ramp and walk around to the point that is off to the left another few hundred yards. You will now be on the "flats."

Look for ammonites exposed on the steps, usually near water level. They can weigh more than you can carry so keep that in mind if you want to load up. Literally LOTS and LOTS of ammonite parts there, too.

Also, look for heart urchins of various types. They usually look a little bit lavender in color as they erode out from the surrounding limestone.

Take some heavy gear, too. Sledge, chisel and rock hammer. Possibly a crow bar.

As for the resort since the water level is way down it might also be a great place to look. And less of a hike! There should be ammonites there. Again, look on the limestone steps near the water level.

Wish I could join you, but I've 5 hours south... Happy hunting!

Oh-man

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Thanks Oh-man, but I left before I got a reply. The place I went is no bueno, and my truck started sounding funny. I'm licking my wounds in Dallas tonight, and heading back to Austin for a few.