Help Id

Rsmull

Found in Green Mill Run Creek in Pitt County, NC. I believe may be mosasaur tooth in jaw matrix or could be whale. Any ideas?post-1344-1236100501_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236100457_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236100474_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236100417_thumb.jpg

I have seen a lot of weird stuff come out of that creek but nothing like that. It does look tooth like, but I think it's way too big for mosasaur. The largest mosasaur tooth I've seen from there was about 2 1/2 inches long by a little over an inch wide. It is quite interesting and another GMR piece that I would like to see in person.

Guest bmorefossil
I have seen a lot of weird stuff come out of that creek but nothing like that. It does look tooth like, but I think it's way too big for mosasaur. The largest mosasaur tooth I've seen from there was about 2 1/2 inches long by a little over an inch wide. It is quite interesting and another GMR piece that I would like to see in person.

yes and to add it looks almost like a tooth erupting from the jaw still and not just a tooth

If you could post some pics using a flash it may add more information. I agree with Ron, it's not mosasaur. From these pics, I'm not even sure it's a fossil...it may be a geologic imposter. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest Nicholas

I'm going to go with a geological body. As was said try taking some photos with a flash, or rinse the item first and take pictures still wet.

The "acorn" shape at top makes it look like it could be a mosasaur tooth root base but it really seems too large. What is the diameter at the top?

Found in Green Mill Run Creek in Pitt County, NC. I believe may be mosasaur tooth in jaw matrix or could be whale. Any ideas?post-1344-1236100501_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236100457_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236100474_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236100417_thumb.jpg

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

There is a striated texture that might suggest an organic origin...

post-423-1236119353_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!