sseth

Here are the two newest Spinosaurus Teeth to find their way into my collection. they both have amazing root sections. The larger tooth is just over 8 inches long. At some point soon I will pull out all of my monster spinos and share a pic or two.

post-2399-0-60968900-1423775773_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Great looking teeth Seth!

Do they have much R&R?

Look forward to seeing the rest when you get the chance to put up some pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

It was my understanding that Spinosaurus' were able to replace their teeth by pushing the old ones out, like children's teeth. Isn't that root too long for this theory? Is there any sign of another tooth cavity underneath or on the side of your new teeth Seth? Im just curious. I don't want to start a whole debate.

Sweet teeth though!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great looking teeth Seth!

Do they have much R&R?

Look forward to seeing the rest when you get the chance to put up some pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

No restoration on these bad boys. They are all original, which makes them even more spectacular to me.

www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

It was my understanding that Spinosaurus' were able to replace their teeth by pushing the old ones out, like children's teeth. Isn't that root too long for this theory? Is there any sign of another tooth cavity underneath or on the side of your new teeth Seth? Im just curious. I don't want to start a whole debate.

Sweet teeth though!

No sign of another tooth. They look similar to most rooted therapod teeth. Long roots, but these could be a final set of teeth. I have seen spino jaw sections with short teeth still growing in so it is hard to say.

www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Full Metal Jacket!

Most impressive!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

*drool*

So. Much. Win.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

fossilized6s makes a good point, you would expect to see a depression for its replacement tooth which is very odd if there is none. All theropod teeth have them throughout their life and it would be very evident on big monster teeth. Attached are images of an 8" and 6" tooth that show that depression.

post-10935-0-81427100-1423785692_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-99784700-1423785715_thumb.jpg

What if the teeth are not sheds? Could the replacement teeth have not developed enough for re-absorption of the roots to have begun?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Fully rooted teeth are typically not shed and come directly out of the jaw. I've gotta believe that a tooth that large would have had ample time for a replacement tooth to develop but I'm not an expert in this area.

wow fantastic teeth! :)

- Is there a chance that they could be missing the end section that shows the "depression" of the next tooth?

wow fantastic teeth! :)

- Is there a chance that they could be missing the end section that shows the "depression" of the next tooth?

Yes its a fantastic tooth but would like to reserve a response to your question until I can see additional images of the other side and bottom of the tooth

fossilized6s makes a good point, you would expect to see a depression for its replacement tooth which is very odd if there is none. All theropod teeth have them throughout their life and it would be very evident on big monster teeth. Attached are images of an 8" and 6" tooth that show that depression.

I didn't post these pictures to start a debate, I simply wanted to share some of my latest treasures with this group. I understand that there is always some skepticism when a fossil "from Morocco" shows up. I have dealt enough with Moroccan fossils, and have done enough prep and restoration to spot any funny business and on this tooth there is none.

Not to continue the debate, or even disagree (I do support what has been said) but just so you are aware, this canal is not always present in large rooted therapod teeth. I have three fully rooted Rex teeth and only two have the canal, and I also have a very large Allosaurus tooth that is rooted and also lacks this feature. I either removed these teeth from the ground myself, or saw them come right from the ground so I am not convinced that such a marked depression must always exists. The teeth I just mentioned also have a complete root, as the bone tapers down to a paper-thin end and has not been broken off, just as in this largest spinosaurus tooth. There are also teeth in major scientific collections around the world that also lack this feature, although those exhibiting it are much, much more common.

I also have a few large Spinosaurus teeth that show a very evident canal in their roots for a replacement tooth, although a few of my other largest teeth also lack such a feature. Luck of the draw I guess? It could also be that the end of the root section is missing. I have a large number of smaller 2-3 inch teeth that go from a thick robust tooth to a paper-thin root abruptly, with no transition or tapering. It is very reminiscent of what our baby teeth do with super thin fragile root attached to a big robust tooth. No explanation for this, but I am guessing others of you have seen this same feature, as it is quite common in smaller teeth. No publications yet out on this, and I have only seen it in Spinosaurid teeth.

That said, I also agree that the very well supported theory is dinosaurs continued to replace their teeth throughout their lifetime. I have also seen evidence for this, as I have half a dozen jaws in my possession that are missing the inner bone and display both the tooth being used and the replacement tooth. Here is another theory that also floats around on the fringes of paleontology and it theorizes that there is the possibility that older dinosaurs reaching the end of their lives may only have had limited resources in their body to continue tooth replacement and if these resources were depleted additional tooth creation may have ceased. One last theory that exists, and is supported by evidence in Elasmosaurs (I know, not a dinosaur) that the very base of the roots of teeth, and replacement teeth could still be soft and a bit pliable as is evidenced by the strange shapes of some teeth found still inside the jaws indicating differing stages of development. If the animal were to die, and these teeth were to float from the jaw due to decomposition, it is possible that their roots and teeth could change due to things such as change in pressure, and also not having a rigid structure to maintain shape. All just current theories that are out there.

Anyway, I have wandered off topic and just written a bunch of incoherent babble without time to even collect my thoughts on the matter, so for that I apologize. Here is a picture of the reverse side of these teeth. As you can see, there is no funny business. The reverse side has some crushing that has taken place, and some loss of enamel but the dentin is still exhibits the typical tooth pattern where this loss has occurred. There may be evidence for a replacement tooth indentation, but given the angular fracturing and slightly irregular patters in this side of the tooth it could also be from crushing, so I have reserved judgement.

I will also share a few pictures of other large teeth I have.

post-2399-0-80028500-1423839023_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

I'm learning quite a lot here; this is illuminating a facet of theropod biology that heretofore was simply 'lore' for me. Thank you!

I didn't mean to start a debate and i wasn't indirectly saying that these were fake in anyway. They're a sweet couple of teeth! Im still learning about Dinos and it was merely an observation. That being said, i for one find it fun to poke around for evidence in a unanswered case. It makes me feel like there's still hope for a explorer at heart in a mapped out World.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I didn't mean to start a debate and i wasn't indirectly saying that these were fake in anyway. They're a sweet couple of teeth! Im still learning about Dinos and it was merely an observation. That being said, i for one find it fun to poke around for evidence in a unanswered case. It makes me feel like there's still hope for a explorer at heart in a mapped out World.

I couldn't agree more. I think that is why I love fossils so much.

www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

One of these days I gotta get myself a 5 incher Spino...

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!