Fossil Whale Bone?

Rodney

Maybe, if they throw in the toilet too? It's only worth what someone will pay for it and I haggle for everything.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Hello Rodney, my recommendation would be that before you decide to purchase the supposed whale bone, you should request that the dealer specify the locality and age of the fossil itself, if they already haven' t. This would provide some credibility, and, in the instance you do buy it, will be easy to organize, being that you have more knowledge of what you actually bought, not just some random whale bone.

Edited by Trevor

: )

Even if from a known locality with a known age, why would an unidentifiable chunk of bone have any value at all?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Even if from a known locality with a known age, why would an unidentifiable chunk of bone have any value at all?

Sorry, I falsely assumed that the identification was not in question; I thought that this specimen was already confirmed to be part of a whale. If you, Rodney that is, are not conscious that this is even a fossil, I implore you to consider purchasing other fossils rather than this, since it may turn out to disappoint you in the future.

: )

Paleocetologist here: I can't even tell what that is.

Save the 60 bucks, buy two tanks of gas and dig up something better yourself!