Where Can I Get A Stand For These Slabs?

bgreenstone

Here are two large, heavy slabs that I picked up in Tucson last week. The large ammonite slab weighs probably 40+ lbs., and the smaller crinoid plate weighs maybe 20+ lbs. Right now they're both just leaning against the wall, so I need to find some sort of heavy-duty stand or easel to hold them, but I can't really find anything large enough online. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The closest I could finds the XL Wrought Iron Slab Stand here: http://www.fossilcartel.com/shop/products.php?cat=38

That might do for the crinoid, but the ammonite slab probably needs something even larger, or at least with a taller back. Or do you think these could work?

Thanks,

-Brian

post-17607-0-38952000-1424207197_thumb.jpg

post-17607-0-90580800-1424207320_thumb.jpg

Edited by bgreenstone

Something like these?

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Why not try making one yourself? The (rather crudely drawn out) design attached seems to work well with one of my specimens (however it is much lighter). Cut two slits in a piece horizontal piece of wood, one to hold a backing piece and another to act as a wedge to prevent the specimen from slipping. The backing piece has to be the same width as the slot to ensure it doesn’t slip out. The distance between the slits depends of the slant. This way you can custom make each stand to your specimens and it won’t set you back too much.

Regards,

I wouldn't feel comfortable using wood for the larger piece. I'd have to make the stand so thick and large to support that specimen that it would defeat the purpose. One made from rebar would be best. The specimen was originally on a heavy rebar mount at the show, and I should have just bought that from the guy, but I wasn't thinking.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

So, I ended up buying that stand from Amazon. Actually, I bought two: the large one and the smaller one, and they're perfect!

Really, really lightweight yet incredibly strong. The big one easily holds my large ammonite slab, and I'd swear that thing weighs at least 50lbs., probably more.

-Brian

post-17607-0-81451000-1424906038_thumb.jpgpost-17607-0-49212700-1424906059_thumb.jpg

Well done!

Big, showy specimens can be a pain to display, and these stands take nothing away from the visual impact.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!