Chipola Formation- Small Ones

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have about half way made it through the Chipola matrix I brought home. Most of the stuff are very small (some even true micros). The large partial shell that you see some of them on was also found there, but unfortunately not whole. I'll have to get back there to find a whole one. This stuff is approx. 12 mybp. I really like fossil assemblages. This small one has at least 14 species on it, but most are pieces.

Nice. Some of them look like they still have the original gloss.

If you have a long wave or short wave UV lamp use it on the shells to see if there is any hint of color patterns. I have done this with some Florida shells in the past and I was able to see patterns on volutes (square dots) and fasciolaria shells (lines and bands) that were not visible in normal light. It also worked with a few shells from Lee Creek.

In what area/state did you find this material? It looks similar to things I've collected in Texas, Fla, N. Carolina and Maryland - east coast.

Real nice collection, beautifully preserved.

Super variety! I know how much you like your shells, and I'm glad you do.

Is there Future in their future?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have about half way made it through the Chipola matrix I brought home. Most of the stuff are very small (some even true micros). The large partial shell that you see some of them on was also found there, but unfortunately not whole. I'll have to get back there to find a whole one. This stuff is approx. 12 mybp. I really like fossil assemblages. This small one has at least 14 species on it, but most are pieces.

Weisbord in his 1971 paper, CORALS FROM THE CHIPOLA AND JACKSON BLUFF FORMATIONS OF FLORIDA, quotes Bender (1971) stating that "Ten upper lower Miocene [coral] samples from the Chipola formation (Fla.) give concordant ages of 14-18 MYR." This was based on He/U radiometric age determinations.

Conventions have changed since 1971, and these days we don't talk much in terms of "upper" and "lower." These days the Chipola Fm. might be described as Late Early Miocene or Early Middle Miocene.

I don't know what you're doing to clean these mollusks, but I'll tell you what worked for me. Let the matrix dry thoroughly (I gave the bigger blocks weeks). Add a few drops of detergent (laundry detergent is non-foaming) to a pan of water (I used a plastic cat litter tray). Submerge the matrix into the water using a screen of whatever mesh you like.

The matrix will literally melt. While the material is still submerged, gently use your fingers to locate paired valves before they get separated. Same with sections of branching corals. Matching up valves after they are separated is a tedius chore. You'll quickly get a feel for this. [pun intended]

post-42-1236196149_thumb.jpg

post-42-1236196168_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest N.AL.hunter

1. I have actually found a few specimens with visible evidence of color to them. They all are the same little gastropod. Very small. I'll try to get pics later. And, sorry to say, I do not have a UV light source.

2. These were found in Florida at Ten Mile Creek.

3. Future is in their future, specially for the matrix. Some of the specimens might also get it, but a lot don't need anything added to them.

4. Harry, thanks for the advice. I'll try that technique. I've used just plain water, then spread the resulting "gunk" out to dry, then pick out the fossils. I love finding the bivalves with both parts still together. I have some not much bigger than a period. I have only found "impressions" of the coral you have pictured (the branching one). So far, no good specimens of it, so the search continues.