Spinosaurus Teeth--Curious If You Think These Are Real, Reason Why

Angryraptor78

I accidentally broke one in half when I first started collecting. I should have taken the time to further study the inside but instead I glue it back together. It was purchased from a reputable site, Fossilicious. The inside however was white, and looked more like bone. It did not seem like Plaster Paris, however the last time I used Plaster Paris and felt it was in the 80s when I was just a child and the outside seems very real. Can the inside of a fossil be white? It might have been bone, but I presume through permineralization the inside would crystalize where the original material is concerned, or be filled with rocky minerals from millions of years of infiltration. I know I saw a museum selling some broken ones from a photo, but I also know museums accidentally get fakes too. These are the fossils. I wish I had been less myopic and left it unbroken until someone could better confirm.

post-16532-0-59012000-1424619843_thumb.jpg

I mean I know I saw a museum selling broken ones that were also white on the inside, but I know museums get fakes too.

I can't tell for sure from the image whether there is quite a bit of matrix adhering to them, but the surfaces appear rough with it. If so, it may have been applied to hide something.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Spinosaurus teeth like yours are rarely faked because they're too numerous and not priced high enough to fake. However these teeth often undergo repair and can be filled with plaster, matrix etc. Larger teeth are another story you can see multiple teeth put together to make a larger one.

Edited by Troodon