Carcharodontosaurus And Megalodon - My First Buy

Hovland

Hello,

My interest in fossils has grown over the years and now I've finally got an economy that gives me the opportunity to buy some for myself. It is exciting to see other peoples fossils, but the feeling of being able to own some myself is really something I want to achieve.
In that context, I have the following question to theese two teeth:
1 - How would you rate the quality?
2 - What will be a ok price to give for each of these?
post-17674-0-01528700-1424765860_thumb.png
post-17674-0-52928000-1424765865_thumb.png
post-17674-0-10954900-1424765868_thumb.png
post-17674-0-41114600-1424765869_thumb.png
Thank you for all answers!

Welcome to the forum.

The Megalodon tooth, nice size is what is known in the industry as commercial grade (missing serrations, chips and rough) and does not command a high value. The Carcharodontosaurus tooth is very nice, high quality great serrations and my only question is whether its a complete tooth or the top half of one. I think its complete but can you take a picture of the other side to be sure. Need to see the area by the gum line that our morrocan friends have conveniently filled with matrix. We do not appraise value on this forum.

Thank you :)

Thanks for a detailed answer. I am very interested in finding out if the price the seller want for them is reasonable, I think they booth look amazin, but have few to comparing with.

Is an ok if I enter the price that seller wants for them here (i think he wants more than they are worth?

This is a picture of the back.

post-17674-0-51528000-1424776283_thumb.png

The tooth is almost 6 cm

Im sorry, thats the only picture I got.

the price is 220 $ for the megaladon and 360$ for charcharodontosaurus.

I have been watching many sales and I said to the seller that I thought his prices was a bit hard, he did not agree!

You can purchase much better quality megalodons on eBay for a lot less. I cannot say for sure on the Charch tooth with that image but the price may be a bit high. Its a nice tooth.

I also believe that is far too great an asking price for that meg. Certainly they sell for that (and a lot more); but that is driven by the collector's pursuit of size/perfection. I think that you can find a larger/nicer example for less money. Study the market on eBay for a while (tons are traded there) and you will develop an idea of that the market demands. These are common fossils, so I am sometimes shocked at what people are willing to pay. However, as I suggested; there appears to be a broad collector base that drives the prices skyward. Good luck and have fun in your efforts to find the "best" example.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Personally I think that price for the Charc tooth is rediculous. I once bought a Charc tooth of similar size for only 60 euros, not as nice with a couple of breaks and some repair. But still a quite nice tooth. I don't think I would pay more than 100 euros for a tooth of that size. Generally fossils on the internet are rediculously overpriced.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite