Its Like We Hit The Reset Button!

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

Well a few days ago I find myself watching my father from inside the house as he worked on our boat, this got me thinking, are we going to take the boat out for the first time? Will we finally start the 09' fossiling season, well this morning my dad asks if we should take the boat out and of course my answer was yes but I played it all calm and said, "Oh the boat, hmmm why not?" haha, well we get the boat in the water and after a few minutes I hear the beautiful sound of the boat motor and before you knew it we were on our way to the beach. The first boat trip of the season is almost like that one scene from "Titanic" where Rose has her eyes closed as she feels the air blow past her, something along those lines, its just like that, I seem to be in a whole different world when Im out there but that would end soon when I see a person on the beach

So I get down to him and he is a real nice guy, he tells me that he has not found anything of any size for the last few months, he did find one small meg and a broken meg and some other things so i felt good for the guy. Well right after I passed him I began to look in the water and today there was no shortage of bone, I was finding broken pieces of a dolphin skull that were everywhere, ribs, verts! how could i forget verts you ask? Well Im getting to that so hold on. Well most of the junk I would throw up onto the beach for collecting later in the day, then I look down in the water and see a huge vert in the matrix but I would never get this one out. On my first time down the beach I found a croc tooth.....like I dont have enough of these already lol but they are rare so Im happy with it. Then the guy starts to work his way back to me and right before he could pass me I found a huge!!! meg in the water. (pause)

Now lets go back to last year, our first boat trip to this spot and what did i find? well my largest meg!!!

So now lets come back to present time, this tooth is 3 3/8" my largest(whole) meg, I was really happy for this tooth because it has been some time since my last meg. Then right next to a footprint I spot another meg this one is smaller, the megs were there it just took some time to find them but we found 5 in total.

Now remember how I didnt get to dig out that one big vert, well I would have my share of big verts today. I spot something just under the sand,

its a HUGE vert the wingspan is over 15"!!!! Then another one is a little smaller but it is so nice that it is my favorite vert!

So that it guys the trip report is over! Crazy I know we are starting this year off on the same note as last year.

Now for the pictures..... well what does it mean when the camera says low battery and then turns off.....oh i see now well there is the reason for only one picture but please come back when I have more, tomorrow.

post-17-1236485821_thumb.jpg

Man that is just wrong, I was hoping to see the vert!!!!!!!!!! You built it up so good, only to let me down, but I will keep checking back for the others. Nice finds and good story.

Guest bmorefossil
Man that is just wrong, I was hoping to see the vert!!!!!!!!!! You built it up so good, only to let me down, but I will keep checking back for the others. Nice finds and good story.

well both verts are very nice they just need a little glue and i should have that done tomorrow

BMore,

You are a very fortunate young man. My father was the one who introduced me to the hobby. He had sold a house to a geologist couple who befrended him and, subsequently me. Through that friendship they interested me, and so him, in rock and fossil hunting. While he was not so much an enthusiast himself, he saw that I was very, very hooked and so indulged my love of fossil and rock hunting. That was when I was 8 years old. To my eternal sense of loss he died when I was 13. It wasn't until I was 40 that I was again able to embrace this love for field trips without a sense of emptiness for his presence. You don't know how blessed you are to have a father who endulges you. Enjoy it to the fullest and let him know how much he means to you.

Grandpa

Guest bmorefossil

ok I have pictures of the verts but now it says that I have 400 pictures on the memory card sooooo it will be a little bit before i can get time on here.

This is pure torture! I want to go out so bad right now but have to wait till the shoulder recovers. You just don't know how anise I am. My wife has scolded me for even thinking about it. Great finds!

Those are really fantastic pictures bmore, thanks for sharing them!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

That meg looks broken; I think you need to send it back to the Miocene returns department for a refund :D I'm just kidding you Bmore, nice finds :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

That's it I'm moving to Maryland. See ya soon Bmore :D

Love that vert !!!!!!!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest bmorefossil
That meg looks broken; I think you need to send it back to the Miocene returns department for a refund :D I'm just kidding you Bmore, nice finds :D

yea it does have some damage but then again when you look at the teeth that are larger than this tooth they are either missing like 1/4 of the tooth or the tooth is missing the root or I only have the root.

Guest bmorefossil
That's it I'm moving to Maryland. See ya soon Bmore :D

Love that vert !!!!!!!

which one, ill be fixing up the one but the other is just perfect! and it may even end up with some red in it im not sure.

Guest bmorefossil
What an awesome day you all had! Very impressive! Congrats on your finds!

thanks i just hope that the year turns out as great as last year did.

yea it does have some damage but then again when you look at the teeth that are larger than this tooth they are either missing like 1/4 of the tooth or the tooth is missing the root or I only have the root.

I know, you did you well! I was just busting your echinoids :P:D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.