Asteroid ? Sponge ?

Henri

From French Oxfordian :

fossile.jpg

Biggest leg is approx 6 cm.

Thanks for your help (I just walked a few kilometers with a 20 kg rock because of this nice pattern)

Very strange. At first glance I thought echinoid, but I wonder...

Do you have a pic of the whole rock? How big is this thing? Some odd and interesting things come out of France (see pic).

post-1313-1236603494_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

It looks like an eroded cross section of...something.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Can you take a photo of the rh side, where the lower rh 'arm' ends at the edge?

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

This is from a big rock, that got broken in two in the sea during a storm, the result is a cut of an unknown (to me) fossil. The rock is really big and there is no other indication on this specific fossil apparent, but I might slice it ; I just risk to destroy it :mellow:

My first thought was for a blastoid, maybe crinoid (but these we find here do not have such perfect symmetry. Since there is no other cut on another side of the rock, I thought is was not a sponge (that is usually found in these rocks, but anyway, they never have such shape) and the porosity we see on two arms make me think of the king of muscle you see in a starfish.

One of my problem is that I need to know what it is first if I want to do a single nice cut (to estimate the angle) ; I can't afford to erode the other side.

I found a new specimen yesterday, just a few meters away from the first, and it is much better in some ways :

nvfossileetoile1.jpg

The hole allows me to presume a perspective :

nvfossileetoile3.jpg

A zoom on the top down (and biggest) leg :

nvfossileetoile11.jpg

A few zooms on the whole and it's texture.

nvfossileetoile10.jpg

nvfossileetoile9texture.jpg

nvfossileetoile8.jpg

nvfossileetoile6lourd.jpg

nvfossileetoile5.jpg

Any idea ? I'm now completely lost !

There isn't either an indication on the back, just a few remains of sponge (which there are on just every rock from this layer) and a hardly visible bit with texture like the thier photo.

The whole rock of the first photo :

fossileetoile1.jpg

If it wasn't so small, I'de say it's a borrow of some kind. Maybe insect borrow filled in with dirt? i dunno.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

I don't think it can be just a trace as the textured part and all the outer part of the second find is clearly silicified. So that is a part of the body, and since starfish do not silicify imo that's just stranger.

Appart from this, and if you except the fact that starfish are always found flattened, it looks like one, or another similar echinoid.

Also, the texture let me think that this inside of the fossil is indeed the external part of the animal.

Tomorow I am planning to move tons of rocks at the same place to see if I can find a third.

Ummm looks familiar to me! Let`s seeeee! Evactinopora sp. Bryozoa from the Carboniferous?

post-62-1237216618_thumb.jpg

Indeed, it looks very similar, but do they come so big ? I thought thet were at most a few centimeter wide, while here, the specimen would be 15 cm wide and I found yesterday a small part of a third fossil that would have been around 20 cm !