Sphyrna Laevissima?

Gatorman

I have this labeled as Sphyrna laevissima, am I correct? Its the only one i have found so far so I'm quite proud of it. Its 1/2" in size.

post-1-1199138296_thumb.jpg

Hammerheads are tough to distinguish from each other. I found one source that says that S. laevissima is actually synonymous with the extant smooth hammerhead shark, S.zygaena. This is one that even elasmo.com can't help with, unless you want to compare your tooth to their photo of modern hammerhead jaws. Nice little tooth whatever it is.

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

So I should probably label this one Sphyrna sp.

That's a safe move, but now that I'm looking at it again, it sure looks like it could be Sphyrna lewini. Go to elasmo.com, got to the Lee Creek page, Carchariniforme sharks and click on either S. lewini or S. zygaena. Both species are pictured and you can compare for yourself. I don't think I can get a link for you, so your on your own.

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Very well could be either of those, Elasmo does not say what the ages for these teeth are. The one I have is Miocene in age not sure if its early middle or late Miocene though I should find out.