Another Question For Fellow Pa Members

BonemanX3

Hey guys. Another fossil hunting site question. This time I want permission to fossil hunt in on a roadcut on Holbens Valley road off 100 just west of Shochery. it's in the Weisenberg township. I already emailed the township supervisor to see if I can get permission to hunt there. In case he says yes just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the site that they could share with me?

If you are within about 10' or so from the edge of pavement you are in Public Right of Way and they can't prevent you from collecting what falls down. However that doesn't mean you should start taking chunks out of the road cut. Just use your common sense when you are out there and think about how you would feel if it were your property or were the one driving past someone working on the cut.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hey guys. Another fossil hunting site question. This time I want permission to fossil hunt in on a roadcut on Holbens Valley road off 100 just west of Shochery. it's in the Weisenberg township. I already emailed the township supervisor to see if I can get permission to hunt there. In case he says yes just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the site that they could share with me?

Looks like, based on my geology map, you will be looking in Martinsburg Formation or possibly some Hamilton Group rocks. The Martinsburg is a brownish shale that is mostly barren of fossils except for pockets here and there (like Swatara Gap was before it was closed). The Hamburg group rocks are also shale, no idea of fossils tho. Good luck!

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/