Teeth Id

kaleb

Im new to fossil collecting mainly sharks teeth. i have photographed the ones I am most curious about. I apologize for all the pics and dont expect someone to go through everyone and tell me what they are but any you could i would appreciate it. I know some are probably the same species but im not positive. The one i am most curious about is number 46. I found it yesterday on a island in a local river. I know it is not a sharks tooth I researched it for while last night and the 2 that it looks alot alike is a Orca whale or a Saber tooth tiger it looks alot more like a saber tooth. Here is a link to a pic of a saber tooth tiger tooth.

http://www.fossilbyte.com/OFT17.jpg.JPG

Sharksteeth1.jpg

Sharksteeth2.jpg

Sharksteeth2.jpg

sharksteeth12.jpg

sharksteeth13.jpg

sharksteeth14.jpg

sharksteeth3.jpg

sharksteeth4.jpg

sharksteeth5.jpg

sharksteeth6.jpg

sharksteeth7.jpg

sharksteeth8.jpg

sharksteeth9.jpg

sharksteeth10.jpg

unknowntooth2.jpg

unknowntooth.jpg

Maybe #46 is a croc tooth? Have only found 2 and not handy to get so cannot compare.

Someone on here will know though so keep checking...

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, Kaleb, you went through a lot of trouble to number & photograph those teeth!

I'll leave the heavy-lifting for one of our shark experts, but it looks like maybe six species represented, plus a croc tooth. Nice collection; please tell me that these aren't all from one trip!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, Kaleb, you went through a lot of trouble to number & photograph those teeth!

I'll leave the heavy-lifting for one of our shark experts, but it looks like maybe six species represented, plus a croc tooth. Nice collection; please tell me that these aren't all from one trip!

yeah it took me a little while lol. Those Teethe are from about 4 or 5 trips I have alot more from the same trips but most are real small or in pieces.

When you say croc tooth do you mean alligator or crocodile. we have alligators here in NC but no crocs do you know if they were here in NC at one time in the past.

After the first reply that it was scroc tooth i looked up some pictures and i agree. That never even crossed my mind thanks for the replies so far.

When you say croc tooth do you mean alligator or crocodile. we have alligators here in NC but no crocs do you know if they were here in NC at one time in the past.

Those teeth are 23+ million years old; back then, you definitely had crocodiles lurking about!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

sweet so cool find then or are they common

Cool find!

It looks like it might be a mosasaur tooth. Cretaceous fossils are found in several areas in south east North Carolina.

some of the pics i found look like mosasaur teeth but it is so much like a crocs tooth its hard to tell

It looks like it might be a mosasaur tooth. Cretaceous fossils are found in several areas in south east North Carolina.

Given that it's from a dredge-spoil island, it could be from any up-river formation. Still, it might just be my old eyes, but I think I see a cutting edge on it?

Given that it's from a dredge-spoil island, it could be from any up-river formation. Still, it might just be my old eyes, but I think I see a cutting edge on it?

There is no serrated edges there us 2 edges that are smooth

There is no serrated edges there us 2 edges that are smooth

Yeah, I don't mean serrated; just smooth ridges fore & aft.

Here are three mosasaur teeth from North Carolina.

post-210-1236656539_thumb.jpg

I think you might be right most of the crocs teeth im seeing arnt curved there straight and your three teeth there look just like mine the only difference is yours are bigger and a little fatter.

Could be a Mosasaur. To me they look a lot like gator teeth except gators are rounder and dull tiped, Mosasur have an edge.

Here is a Mosasaur tooth i just collected in a E. Carolina pond bank.

post-1313-1236688977_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

cool i think it is. But Im new to this so i cant be sure. Are any of you guys in NC. so where are all the Sharks tooth guys

I am from NC but I am not a guy. I have a couple of pages I can send to anyone who would like to id NC or the eastcoast teeth. Just let me know and I will send it to you. :D

cool i think it is. But Im new to this so i cant be sure. Are any of you guys in NC. so where are all the Sharks tooth guys

The best days are spent collecting fossils

the bottom, or "end" of a mosasaur tooth seems pretty distinctive to me compared to gator teeth. does someone here have both mosasaur and croc teeth and the ability to take and post a picture of the "nerve" or cavity end of both teeth?

I am from NC but I am not a guy. I have a couple of pages I can send to anyone who would like to id NC or the eastcoast teeth. Just let me know and I will send it to you. :D

I would like a copy of the papers you have for identifying teeth. My email is KPDutil@gmail.com. You from southeastern NC if so you know any good places to look for sharks teeth. Oh and i see that you are not a guy but you know what i meant lol.

you have many different species there, i see a little bit of everything. For id purposes you can check out www.phatfossils.com www.blackriverfossils.org or www.elasmo.com Elasmo has great text and some pictures but the other two have a ton of pictures which helps with identification.

On a side note please please please remove the teeth from the tape and wash them thoroughly to ensure you get all the sticky stuff off other wise it could end up slowly eating away at them as time goes on.

you have many different species there, i see a little bit of everything. For id purposes you can check out www.phatfossils.com www.blackriverfossils.org or www.elasmo.com Elasmo has great text and some pictures but the other two have a ton of pictures which helps with identification.

On a side note please please please remove the teeth from the tape and wash them thoroughly to ensure you get all the sticky stuff off other wise it could end up slowly eating away at them as time goes on.

I removed them from the tape that night however I hot glued them i figured it peels of easy enough was that dumb to?

I would like a copy of the papers you have for identifying teeth. My email is KPDutil@gmail.com. You from southeastern NC if so you know any good places to look for sharks teeth. Oh and i see that you are not a guy but you know what i meant lol.

Ok will e mail you information. It is 49 pages.

Number 46 is a crocodile tooth. Actually, I like crocodile teeth better then Megs myself because we do not find, as many crocodile teeth also the sizes of them can be pretty large. We had one location where we could collect a number of them but that site now closed and crocodile teeth are hard to find. In addition, the condition that we find now are nowhere near as good as in the past.

Number 46 is a crocodile tooth. Actually, I like crocodile teeth better then Megs myself because we do not find, as many crocodile teeth also the sizes of them can be pretty large. We had one location where we could collect a number of them but that site now closed and crocodile teeth are hard to find. In addition, the condition that we find now are nowhere near as good as in the past.

cool thanks. How good is the condition of mine compared to the ones you used to find