Hunting Methods

kaleb

When you all are hunting for fossils and you are looking in creeks and rivers are you diving for them or walking the shore line what are your methods?

When you all are hunting for fossils and you are looking in creeks and rivers are you diving for them or walking the shore line what are your methods?

Diving, walking ("gravel gazing"), sifting...

Each site has it's own challenges, and each hunter has their favored methods. Due to the fact that all my shark toothin' (back in the day) was at Westmoreland and Calvert Cliffs, my style was beach combing, preferably at low tide.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would say beach hunting is the low slow walk in the heavy gravel, and the slow walk on the rest of the beach. Creeks with gravel beds, crawl hands and knees, then sift.

the island i go to i find i am more productive just walking real slow and looking at the surface. the island is ever changing with the tidal flow and the different water levels in the river so there are always shark teeth exposed. Im wondering if it would be worth it to go to higher ground and dig and sift it. the island was built from dredging so i would imagine you could find them anywhere on there.

the island i go to i find i am more productive just walking real slow and looking at the surface. the island is ever changing with the tidal flow and the different water levels in the river so there are always shark teeth exposed. Im wondering if it would be worth it to go to higher ground and dig and sift it. the island was built from dredging so i would imagine you could find them anywhere on there.

The water is doing the work for you. The only reason I'd change methods is if it quit working :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The water is doing the work for you. The only reason I'd change methods is if it quit working :)

sounds good