Vertebrate Fossil Dig Discount

Dave Daniel AKA (Bones)

Hello Fossil Forum Friend,

With the economy the way it is this year, Jean and I have decided to give a little relief to those wanting to go on a vertebrate fossil dig in the Badlands this coming season. It is our way of giving a real stimulus. A special discount for the 2009 season!

We really do things up big for our guest.

Great food, lodging, camp fire talks, Prep labs, hay rides, training, collecting.

And you get to keep what you find.

Check out our website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~paleodigs/

We would love to meet more of you and have a great time collecting together.

Respectfully,

David Daniel (AKA Bones)

<EDIT> Term of discount edited at Dave's request.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

I have received a few emails asking me if the price on the web site is correct.

We are not changing the website price because this is a March special. Just subtract 20% off of the listed price on the website.

Hope that clears things up.

Hey Dave, I know weve been over this before, but could you PM me for a 2 or 3 day hunt but minus all the food, lodging, slide shows and stuff. I just want to camp out and hunt for fossils. I dont do the turisty stuff. I may be able to get another fellow or two to join me, but I warn you, im purty close to broke right now.

RB

Hey RJB,

I have a partnership with the land owner. We both have our roles in the game. She does the bed and breakfast and I do the dig stuff.

We have talked about doing some camper things at the end of season.

I will get back with you on pricing when we get further down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey RJB and fellow fossilers,

After receiving several emails about tent camping, trailer camping, Rv camping and other things. I have spoken with the land owner and she has decided to come up with some alternatives this year to make it easier for those to go collecting during this economic environment.

It will involve multiple pricing for different types of lodging options.

We have not ironed out all of the details as of yet, but there are going to be considerable discounts this next season for groups, of different sizes.

Tent, RV, and trailer options. All for the treasure hunt of a lifetime. And you keep all you find.

I should be able to get the information up by this weekend.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate PM me.

I'm surprised nobody is jumping on this!

That's a good discount Dave!

I would love to do this, but for now it will just have to be on the bucket list.

I would love to do this, but for now it will just have to be on the bucket list.

Definitely would want to team up on this trip! I bet with three or four people to share cost's it wouldn't be that bad!

I'm sure it would be worth the drive. I've spent a few days with Dave and he is a pleasure to be around and is very knowledgeable. Weather permitting, I think camping outside in the badlands area would be a trip of a lifetime!!!!!!!

Looks like this would be a very fun trip and I will probably do it someday but not this year. Thank you for the information, I will keep the site bookmarked for future reference.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Definitely would want to team up on this trip! I bet with three or four people to share cost's it wouldn't be that bad!

I'm sure it would be worth the drive. I've spent a few days with Dave and he is a pleasure to be around and is very knowledgeable. Weather permitting, I think camping outside in the badlands area would be a trip of a lifetime!!!!!!!

We are putting together several promo's including group discounts for clubs and organizations. Still working on the pricing and logistics.

Bare with me on this until we get it figured out this weekend.

Thanks for the personal emails with suggestions. They are always helpful.

Coming soon!!!!!

We are putting together several promo's including group discounts for clubs and organizations. Still working on the pricing and logistics.

Bare with me on this until we get it figured out this weekend.

Thanks for the personal emails with suggestions. They are always helpful.

Coming soon!!!!!

P.S. Thought I would keep a link added so those who are not familiar with or digs could get informed.

Here it is: http://home.earthlink.net/~paleodigs/

Guys, keep me in the loop on this one. I have a van that could probably accomadate three or four guys....

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Guys, keep me in the loop on this one. I have a van that could probably accomadate three or four guys....

Brian

Shoot, for this trip...... If there is too many for the van.... you can strap me to the roof rack! :o

Dave, any freshwater limestone at the dig site?

This is why I ask:

post-423-1238194895_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm not sure what that picture comes from but I suspect it is the Chadron formation. (Titanothere beds)

The Brule is just on top of the Chadron with the Whitney member on top of that.

There is very little exposures of the Chadron. Most are on government land and are not as productive as the Brule.

Some bigger animals though. The ranch that you will be collecting on is the riches in the badlands.

It is the first 4 oreodon beds above the Chadron formation. Every other ranch is the upper beds going into the Whitney member.

Not near as productive.

The Chadron and the Brule are both ash deposits, not limestone.

These were large shallow water lakes that were the only watering holes for a hundred miles. Everything came to drink there.

During volcanic activity in the Colorado rockies. Ash was taken by the jet stream over these lakes in Nebraska and Southern Wyoming

and dropped into the lakes. The lakes continued to rise, but as herds of animals came in to water, they would get stuck in the ash (bentonite)

and drown. Scenes like you have in that picture are found all the time. I usually find at least three are four articulated skeletons each season.

Some people miss a skeleton and just pop out the skull. I do classes at the dig to show you how to probe for other bones before you make the mistake of removing the skull.

We are still working on the pricing. I will have it sometime this weekend. But it will be huge savings. At least until we get through this financial

recession.

SooooooN!!!!

OK folks, here it is.

Jean and I have come up with some temporary pricing options to help us all through these tough economic times.

These are temporary mind you. When the economy comes back, we will need to go back to the pricing we have had for 25 years.

This is what we call our stimulus package.

We have always charged $1,595.00 per person.

Here are the multiple package options we have come up with.

Four days hunting/four night stay.

Option one: All the amenities.

Stay in the newly remodeled ranch house, TV, beds, heater, kitchen, bathroom, shower, etc. All food is included and of course you keep what you collect.

Normal cost: $1,595.00 -- Temporary stimulus 40% discount 2009 season. Now $945.00 per person.

Ranch house is first come first served. (Will accommodate six to eight people)

If you book 5 or more people in the ranch house, there will be a 50% discount per person, making the cost $787.50 per person.

Option two: A little rustic.

Stay in the Rustic cabin. Electricity, table for munchies and card games, three beds, OUT HOUSE for #1 and #2. No shower, there is a small wood burning stove and a radio. Bring your ice chest and lap top if you want to watch a movie. Food is included. And of course your collecting.

Temporary stimulus cost $675.00 per person.

Option three: Bring your trailer, camper, motor coach.

Electrical HU will be provided. We have no dump station.(Be sure your empty before you come) You are self contained. Possible water HU. All food is included. And of course your collecting. Stimulus cost $550.00 per person

Option four: Camping (going economy package)

Bring it all yourself. We supply nothing but a spot to put your tent, food and collecting. Sponge bath, no frig, out house, good fellowship.

4 day hunt - $525.00 per person

3 day hunt - $475.00 per person

In order to do this type of pricing, we have had to cut back on meals a little.

No steak dinners this season. It will be simple things like hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, stew, chili, etc. Breakfast will still be eggs and pancakes, cereal, etc.

We are still planning on some educational programs and ID and prep classes.

This is an exceptional pricing program this year. We look forward to offering this to several clubs and organizations.

Jean and I have worked very hard to come to an agreement for this coming season towards bringing our prices down so more can afford it this year. Please do not ask for any other concessions.

We have a great time with our guest, and hope to have you guys come along on this once in a life time treasure hunt.

Other digs charge 2 thousand or more for just the experience. You don’t get to keep anything with their digs.

On ours, you keep what you find. (There is only two rare species protected, the cats) But you will get a cast of it if you find one. In 25 years, there has only been one partial skull found. And one complete skeleton.

What a great way to meet all those Fossil Forum friends you have been blogging with for years.

Here is our site if you haven’t checked it out before.

http://home.earthlink.net/~paleodigs/

Hope to see you there!

Bones

This sounds amazing!!! Who should I call about what dates are still available and setting up options. either camping or rustic shack LOL. This was on ebay also was it not?

You can call me at 719-748-5222 for further info. Or click here on my link to my site at http://home.earthlink.net/~paleodigs/

Yes it is on Ebay. I will be changing some info on Ebay giving this special offer, but the offer is only good by contacting me directly.

If you buy through Ebay, it will cost the regular price.

May is already booked. We are presently working on June.

June is the best month for collecting, I believe. I June, the rains have usually past by the end of May and more is exposed.

Brian

Sounds like there may be 5 or more interested. You should team up and get the 50% discount and have all of the amenities.

It's only about $100.00 more for the house and everything with the discount.

This sounds amazing!!! Who should I call about what dates are still available and setting up options. either camping or rustic shack LOL. This was on ebay also was it not?

The Rustic shack was moved down from pine ridge. It is about 100 years old.

We are planning on building another rustic shack in May to accommodate more that want to do the rustic deal.

(Built out of rough cut lumber from a local mill)

As Jeannie would say. "It should be charming"

I got a couple of private emails from people with questions. Please post your questions on this post so I can respond to them where all can see.

Thanks!

I got a couple of private emails from people with questions. Please post your questions on this post so I can respond to them where all can see.

Thanks!

Ok, I have a question? Lets say I get a craving for some Skittles in the middle of the night, and want to jett up to the local country stop and shop to satisfy my craving..............How far would that be?????????????