Vert Virgin No More

texaswoodie

Last weekend I had to go to Denton, so on the way 9more or less) I stopped at NSR and picked up a few. One of which was my first vert! Now if someone would identify it for me, I'll be a happy camper.

th_M022copy.jpg th_M023copy.jpg th_M024copy.jpg

Also found a bone and some fragments

th_M007copy.jpg

I left around 1 PM and went on to Denton and checked out a construction site some members pointed me to. Thanks guys!

th_M005copy.jpg

Also found a few bihalves and there were thousands of weird purple oysters littering the ground

Curt

Nice finds Tx Woodie, that vert looks a little fishy to me.

The black color is what's making me think fish.

mosasaur caudal vert, indeterminate species, partially (approximately 76.4%) phosphatized.

mosasaur caudal vert, indeterminate species, partially (approximately 76.4%) phosphatized.

Thanks tracer, I have been trying to locate some of my black verts from the NSR for comparison, but haven't found them yet.

Hmmm....the reason I was guessing fish was because this specimen that I have here. I thought that his looked similar to mine. It's roughly the same size and from the same river. I thought that mine was fish ,but am open for a correct ID....

post-417-1236811533_thumb.jpgpost-417-1236811548_thumb.jpgpost-417-1236811560_thumb.jpg

Hmmm....the reason I was guessing fish was because this specimen that I have here. I thought that his looked similar to mine. It's roughly the same size and from the same river. I thought that mine was fish ,but am open for a correct ID....

post-417-1236811533_thumb.jpgpost-417-1236811548_thumb.jpgpost-417-1236811560_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look like a fish to me, is it concave in the other end?

Yes they are. It's hard to tell, but both sides are photographed.

Then they probably are fish. If you will look at his, his is domed on one end and the other end should be concave.

Then they probably are fish. If you will look at his, his is domed on one end and the other end should be concave.

Gotcha I see the dome on his! Back to the books! LOL

Gotcha I see the dome on his! Back to the books! LOL

yours looks like it is from a plesiosaur. Look in the book in the back, there is a vert that looks like yours.

yours looks like it is from a plesiosaur. Look in the book in the back, there is a vert that looks like yours.

nah, his is a fish vert.

Oceans of Kansas website has a ton of info on it, and a link to a forum on marine reptiles where you could doubtless be told the exact birthdate and middle name of the reptile which previously derived structural support from your collector's item. i get tired just thinking about how much some people have studied stuff. in my next life i want to be so freaky smart that lightbulbs dim when i walk into a room...

...scratch that - how's that song go? "faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money..."

nah...leaves out too much. let me think on it and i won't get back to ya.

So a fish vert will be concave on both ends? Is that what I'm reading or did I miss something.

Dim light bulb

nah, it's more than that. look up some pictures of various fish verts, and then some of marine reptiles. the "sides" of the vert are different too, and the physical surface structure.

i'm trying to think - go to google and select "images" and search for "mosasaur vertebrae", "pleisiosaur vertebrae", "pliosaur vertebrae", "icthyosaur vertebrae", and "fish vertebrae".

look at a number of photos of each type, and study the differences. you'll note that the "ends" of a vert being concave isn't exclusive to fish, but that there are other distinguishing features also.

TW, I agree with mommabetts and tracer, you've found a really cool small mosasaur vertebra.

mommabetts, that's another nice mosasaur caudal vert in your photo...and I know you love "mossies".

Barry, you ought to know better than to talk back to "someone older than dirt" or anyone's Momma... :o

Your vert looks like a Xiphactinus vertebra. Maybe X-man can confirm...as a winner of a "golden drool bucket", he's see a few x-fish verts. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

TW, I agree with mommabetts and tracer, you've found a really cool small mosasaur vertebra.

mommabetts, that's another nice mosasaur caudal vert in your photo...and I know you love "mossies".

Barry, you ought to know better than to talk back to "someone older than dirt" or anyone's Momma... :o

Your vert looks like a Xiphactinus vertebra. Maybe X-man can confirm...as a winner of a "golden drool bucket", he's see a few x-fish verts. ;)

i was gonna go out on a limb and say the x-word, but i dint want to mispel it and look foolish, plus i dint want somebody leapin' on me screamin' enchodus or sompin...

i'm trying to think - go to google and select "images" and search for "mosasaur vertebrae", "pleisiosaur vertebrae", "pliosaur vertebrae", "icthyosaur vertebrae", and "fish vertebrae".

look at a number of photos of each type, and study the differences. you'll note that the "ends" of a vert being concave isn't exclusive to fish, but that there are other distinguishing features also.

Thanks Tracer, I'll do that.

Thanks everyone. I'm really stoked, this being my first one and all. B)

Curt

These are images of a Xiphactinus vert. Nice!