Dfw Business Trip

Oh-Man

I drove up to DFW for business meetings M-W this week and took advantage of the extra hour of daylight.

Monday and Tuesday were fairly productive although today was wet and DARN cold. I discovered that once my cheeks and feet were numb from the sub freezing wind chill that I was a lot more comfortable on the out crop... :faint:

Anyway, first day was to Post Oak Creek. Anyone know what the bigger pointy one is? I saw something similar in Roz's pix from Midlothian. The big ptychodus tooth is unfortunately only 2/3rds there, but at least I got a couple of smaller ones. The most unusual "fossil" I found was a transister that likely went in an artifact radio from the 1970's. Sorry Jax, no human teeth to join yours, but I'm shooting high and hope to find a molar to compliment your incisor!

Yesterday I went to a new spot on Texoma, walked about a hundred yards and found a nice 8" round just crying to be carved out of the matrix. It took less than 5 minutes and it came out clean. That's unusual for me at Texoma. I found another couple of rounds, 10" and 15" across, that still have a lot of matrix on them so I didn't take pix.

Today I headed to Denton since it was fairly close to my last meeting. Did I mention that it was bitingly cold??? However when it rains it's A LOT easier to spot echies (holaster look a likes?) popping out of the formation. Thus I made the sacrice to the cause... and found about a half dozen in various beaten up conditions, but one may be in good shape with some prep work forthcoming. One Coenholectypus also added to the mix.

post-549-1236833902_thumb.jpg

post-549-1236833929_thumb.jpg

post-549-1236833942_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Like those shark teeth! good job

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice haul! Is that an Otodus I see in the middle pic?

-HZJ

Rob - not an otodus since it's cretaceous, but very similar in size.

Very nice teeth! Great job! Those Echinoids look like Hemiaster to me, but I'm still kind of a newbie at this.

Way to go Owen, did you have to shlep the ammos back as far as we did?

Shure has been a bit chilly lately,but you know we don't mind that too much. :D

Nice finds!!! I need to check out post oak creek sometime--it looks extremely productive :D

Nice tooth O. Hopefully the weather will be kinder to us on our hunts next weekend.

Should stil be muddy - yeah baby!!! But otherwise I think it's supposed to be good weather... I hope.

Hey, very nice finds on your hunt.

By the bigger pointy one not sure which you mean

but I think the largest in the pic is a Serretoloma Serrata.

That the one you are asking about?

Did I guess it wrong? Trying to ID teeth from my book...

Welcome to the forum!

Hey, very nice finds on your hunt.

By the bigger pointy one not sure which you mean

but I think the largest in the pic is a Serretoloma Serrata.

That the one you are asking about?

Did I guess it wrong? Trying to ID teeth from my book...

I wouldn't guess it to be a Serratolamna serrata. The S. Serrata's typically have a more triangular crown and the tooth itself is more compressed. The crown of this tooth appears not to be triangular and the tooth and root appear a tad bit more robust

Thanks Carl..need to get back to my book then.

I figure the more ID's I try the better I will get...

Welcome to the forum!

Nice finds, Owen!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I wouldn't guess it to be a Serratolamna serrata. The S. Serrata's typically have a more triangular crown and the tooth itself is more compressed. The crown of this tooth appears not to be triangular and the tooth and root appear a tad bit more robust

Yes, I would say the root is very robust, so maybe Archaeolamna kopingensis ???