A Bone-headed Question.....to Coat Or Not Coat..

AlwaysLooking

OK,

so I found this vert and it is porous, and definitely something I want to preserve. There is very little mineralization and it seems to be 99% bone. It is from a slightly brackish to fresh water environment. The matrix was easily removed and the bone is nicely cleaned up. It seems stable, but I am about to pull it out of a bowl of fresh water and start drying it.

Should I coat it or just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance.

I always leave things alone but maybe others will tell you different. I think it would be fine to take it out and let it dry. I've heard some suggest on this forum to soak it in alcohol to remove all the moisture.

Anyway, thanks for posting! :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

If it's 99% bone I think it's sub-fossil?

Here is an extract about treating sub-fossil bone.

Emulsions also have a tendency to turn yellow with age and cross-linking, but these negatives characteristics aside, there is probably no better treatment for soft, wet bone. Brand names such as Rhoplex AC33, CM Bond M3, and Union Carbide's AYAF, are all good general purpose PVA emulsions. They are normally mixed with water in a ratio of 15 to 20 parts emulsion to 85 to 80 parts water. This mixture can be brushed on the bone, or the specimen can be immersed in the consolidant mixture. As mentioned earlier, Elmer's Glue, is a type of polyvinyl acetate emulsion, and could be used on wet specimens. Because proprietary (commercial) brands such as Elmer's generally keep their formulas secret, and even periodically change their formulas, museum conservators do not like to use these commercial PVA emulsions. However, Rhoplex, CM Bond M3 and Union Carbide AYAF PVA emulsions are specifically designed and sold for conservation purposes and should be used when possible.

See Here

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

I like to leave mine natural if at all possible. If your bone is unstable, I would treat it but if it is not, then I would just dry it really good .

OK,

so I found this vert and it is porous, and definitely something I want to preserve. There is very little mineralization and it seems to be 99% bone. It is from a slightly brackish to fresh water environment. The matrix was easily removed and the bone is nicely cleaned up. It seems stable, but I am about to pull it out of a bowl of fresh water and start drying it.

Should I coat it or just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance.

There are extensive discussions about consolidating bone in past threads here. Do a site search to find 'em.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest bmorefossil
There are extensive discussions about consolidating bone in past threads here. Do a site search to find 'em.

i dont think that is needed, can i see a picture of the vert. I need to see if its fish or dolphin

Let the fossil dry and enjoy its natural state. I don't ever coat fossils but some folks run a bit of mineral oil on shells,anmmonites, etc. to bring out more colour. ...the mineral oil can be removed.

If your finding still has actual exterior bone material then it will be quite porous and absorb quite a bit of water or any coating put on it. I've seen coated bone that looks more 'splotchy' than nice.

It is difficult to age a fossil by how much mineral replacement has taken place. It depends on the deposition, pressure, minerals in the soil, etc. Calcium biostuctures can last about 70 million years or so under ideal conditions. The dino bones we find here in the Alberta Badlands sometimes still have a core of natural bone. Shells (calcium) from Eocene deposits in France are not much changed at all.

Guest bmorefossil

fossils froum maryland can be, well, a little touchy fish fossils fall apart really easy, sea mammal verts depending on how well it was preserved he may be able to leave it as is or hi hay need to put something on it.

i'd make sure i got it completely dry and then dunk it in either butvar or vinac in acetone.