Question For Floridians, Specifically Peace River

autographcollector11

So, for anyone who lives in Florida can you tell me what the peace River is like this time of year? Say we were going to hunt at a local boat ramp in Arcadia, is the water level low enough for decent fossil hunting? I read on the website of canoe outpost, that the water level should be at least 12 inches below dock. It is currently 10 inches which implies that it might be a little bit too deep for decent fossil hunting. What are your honest opinions of this?

Thanks

Like all such topics, it depends.

The water levels were lower 10 days ago. They were up a foot when I was there on Tuesday. A foot can make a lot of difference depending on exactly where you hunt. The Peace River is 62 miles long. There are plenty of low water areas and plenty of deep water areas. You should look for and move to areas that match what you are most comfortable.

Right now (like this minute) you have lots of competition -- the Peace River is OPEN and there are lots of spots to hunt and lots of hunting activity. You mention Arcadia.

Arcadia is easily accessed and takes a lot of hunting pressure. That means you have to be luckier or dig deeper than those who chose to go to less accessible locations. Will there be a few spots that are difficult to reach? -- hopefully YES. Those are the locations that are mostly reachable in the lowest water levels -- think mid to late June. I hunt Arcadia in June because of those deeper holes, and the river depth protects some of them now.

I would recommend that you forget inches of and think instead in terms of feet. If it is a couple of feet too deep, do not try, but 6 inches can be manipulated. Recognize when the Paleo Expeditions start taking their charter customers out (about 2 months ago). Even in places like Arcadia, luck and persistence may conquer all

Here is a find from one of those deep holes at Arcadia

post-2220-0-39330600-1429308283_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Jack is an expert on the Peace water level and what's possible. For someone not familiar with the river or the USGS water gages, go ahead and use the Canoe outpost gage, but don't go without a guide if the water is higher than they suggest. If you are coming down to hunt, you may get a chance up till the 2nd week in June. That's usually when the rains start. Late May is best and usually has the lowest water levels. This year has been very wet though, and forecasts are for more of the same this summer.

PM me if you come and want to give it a try. Or call Fred Mazza or Mark Renz for a professional guide. They have more out of the way spots to hunt that I don't have which may have lower water levels.

I now have 4 kayaks and can support a couple guests from out of state that have low expectations. I prefer north of Arcadia in Zolfo Springs or Wauchula, but will do Gardner if you're inclined. Check my April 16th thread for what can be found with current water levels and a lot of digging.

When are you coming and where are you staying? I may be able to give you a couple options if the Peace is too deep :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Shellseeker, on 17 Apr 2015 - 6:06 PM, said:

I would recommend that you forget inches of and think instead in terms of feet. If it is a couple of feet too deep, do not try, but 6 inches can be manipulated. Recognize when the Paleo Expeditions start taking their charter customers out (about 2 months ago). Even in places like Arcadia, luck and persistence may conquer all

Here is a find from one of those deep holes at Arcadia

attachicon.gifRoughtailRayBucklerJune2011.jpg

I am trying to wrap my mind around what this is and I am coming up blank.

Shellseeker, on 17 Apr 2015 - 6:06 PM, said:

I am trying to wrap my mind around what this is and I am coming up blank.

Roughtail Ray buckler (according to the image name) ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Follow up question:

I am hearing that Florida is getting a lot of rain. Is this true and is it common for this time of year?

Are there flooding issues that you guys deal with?

Follow up question:

I am hearing that Florida is getting a lot of rain. Is this true and is it common for this time of year?

Are there flooding issues that you guys deal with?

It has been very rainy, but not anywhere near flood stage. In summer the rivers frequently do go over their banks. That's part of the reason that south Florida rivers remain productive. It has been much wetter than past years (I've been here about 28 years) and this has been out of the norm.

Do you guys ever experience torrential rain that floods roads or washes out beaches? I grew up in the midwest and the rains here could last for days and create really bad conditions. How do Florida "strong" storms compare to say a midwest string storm?

It's been a few years since I lived in Florida. From what I recall, storms don't last long. Unless a tropical depression, tropical storm, or hurricane is overhead. Otherwise most storms pass fairly quickly. In the summer you will experience pretty strong thunderstorms every afternoon but they tend to last only a few hours.

Roughtail Ray buckler (according to the image name) ;)

Calhounensis,

Here is a link back to a 2011 Fossil of the month thread with more details.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/21564-june-2011-finds-of-the-month/page-2

I have only found 2 of these, one a single and the other this double. Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

Does anyone know Good fossil hunting sites other than peace river in south Florida? i've gone there many times and i wanna try someplace new :) any suggestions?