So, How Exactly Do You Use India Ink?

fossilover

I've heard (or saw, rather) many of you talk about using india ink to catalog your fossils. I wanted to start using the ink for my shell collection to start off with, mainly because I can easily find more if I mess them up. :blush: Anyway, I went to my local craft store only to find that india ink is sold in a bottle, and not in pen form like I thought. So, could someone give me a quick walkthrough on how to use it and if there is any preference on a brand? Thanks.

Cataloging is very important in any fossil collection but i must say that i would rather catalog with pictures and measurements and leave the fossils in their natural state.

Go to Micheal's (or any art store) and get a regular simple ink pen with a few extra tips and an ink bottle. I guess any brand would suffice. When I use indian ink for my artwork I load a tip on the pen and dip the tip into the bottle. The ink dries quickly so toss the tip into a cup of water, let it soak for a bit, and scrape off any left over ink.

Pens with ink in them are called fountain pens, I don't know anything on them tho.

Guest solius symbiosus

THIS is what you want in a #0, or #1 nib. They are much simpler to use, easier to clean up, and are much more efficient than a fountain pen.

Cataloging is very important in any fossil collection but i must say that i would rather catalog with pictures and measurements and leave the fossils in their natural state.

That might work for a small collection, but if there is no acquisition number on the piece, how would one correlate the pics and descriptions to the specimens once they number in the hundreds, or thousands?