Need Your Opinions Please!

AeroMike

Well, I talked the wifey into going out land hunting with my son and I yesterday evening.

We managed to find more teeth and a few odds. I was glad my wife was finding stuff and not getting bored. Now she understands what it is I am doing when I leave to go hunting. :P

Here is a "thing" I need your opinion on. I have taken different pics and the best I can describe the outer texture is like the end of a deer antler but I do not think that is what this is. These were found in the coastal area of South Carolina on a land site and not in water. This is solid material and not porious like bone.

It is about 3 inches in length.

DSC02717.jpg

DSC02720.jpg

The tip looks to have the outer layer (enamel????) broken off with the inside material exposed

DSC02719.jpg

side views

DSC02721.jpg

DSC02722.jpg

Here is a tooth that I would also like to know what it is, a Mako perhaps?

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

Thanks gang, I appreciate it. :)

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

It really does look like an antler tine; were it and the tooth (mako) found at the same site? What else is found there?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It appears to me to be a root of a tooth. Here are some photos of a root IDed as that of a Squaladon. You will notice the end view shows the same layering effect.

It really does look like an antler tine; were it and the tooth (mako) found at the same site? What else is found there?

All the fossils i have been finding lately (see my posts "after work", "round two" and "round three" on the hunting trip board) have come from the same land site. What happened is they are developing this area and dug a big water pond and have taken the soil and spread it out in a long pile and I am all over this pile like a chicken on a cheeto!!! LOL :D

I am not ruling out the idea that this just may be a tine of antler, but I figured it most likely is not.

Mike, I agree with OB1 and PaleoRon, the tip of a squalodon tooth. The mako tooth looks like a Isurus Retroflexus, but with the condition of the root it's hard to tell.

Well, I talked the wifey into going out land hunting with my son and I yesterday evening.

We managed to find more teeth and a few odds. I was glad my wife was finding stuff and not getting bored. Now she understands what it is I am doing when I leave to go hunting. :P

Here is a "thing" I need your opinion on. I have taken different pics and the best I can describe the outer texture is like the end of a deer antler but I do not think that is what this is. These were found in the coastal area of South Carolina on a land site and not in water. This is solid material and not porious like bone.

It is about 3 inches in length.

DSC02720.jpg

The tip looks to have the outer layer (enamel????) broken off with the inside material exposed

side views

Here is a tooth that I would also like to know what it is, a Mako perhaps?

Thanks gang, I appreciate it. :)

If I had found this fragment of a whale tooth in Florida -- Mio-Pliocene -- I would call it Kogiopsis sp., a smallish sperm whale (Family PHYSETERIDAE).

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I would say it is some type of squalodon or archaeocete tooth missing the crown. Never seen a sperm whale tooth with a solid inner core that stickes out the bottom of the tooth but i have seen this many times is the squaly's and cete's

Attached are some pictures of a 4" archaeocete that i found a while back in NC. In The second picture i have outlined the outer jacket the inner core and the point where the outer jacket stops. It is harder to see it on this tooth because of the color but the characteristics are the same as the root lobe you have pictured except for that your outer jacket extends to the base of the your root where as mine has fallen off where i have indicated.

post-337-1237162638_thumb.jpg

post-337-1237162645_thumb.jpg

Attached are some pictures of a 4" archaeocete that i found a while back in NC. In The second picture i have outlined the outer jacket the inner core and the point where the outer jacket stops. It is harder to see it on this tooth because of the color but the characteristics are the same as the root lobe you have pictured except for that your outer jacket extends to the base of the your root where as mine has fallen off where i have indicated.

Nice archaeocete tooth, Carl' ! Gosh! Those teeth are so hard to find in Florida!

But, I don't think the cross-sectional shape of an archeocete tooth matches 'aeromike's tooth. My archeocete teeth do not have an enamel core in their roots. I agree that it's not a tooth root. And, it's not a really-obvious tooth tip; but, here's what I think it may be:

post-42-1237171974_thumb.jpg

(I had to scan these teeth 'cause I'm having trouble with my camera/software interface at the moment.)

What seest thou else

Only problem i have here Harry is that the teeth you have pictured and sperm whale teeth in general are hollow on the base. This tooth has no hollow portion to it at all. The pointed end is the base of the tooth not the top the top is the other end in my opinion. Hence lies the frustration in trying to identify broken speciemens

I think I will agree that it is most likely the root of a tooth. Sure would have been nice to find all the tooth! LOL

It might be worth looking for the missing section. It looks like it is a post-fossilization break. You might get lucky and find more of it.

I don't have any stong convictions about this tooth fragment. It might easily be the root of a premolar from one of these whales, I suppose.

post-42-1237263353_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

It might be worth looking for the missing section. It looks like it is a post-fossilization break. You might get lucky and find more of it.

I will be back after the rains stop here but I searched the area hard looking for anymore pieces of this. I am hoping with this rain (more like a drizzle) that some more of the top layer is washed away to exspose more fossils.

I don't have any stong convictions about this tooth fragment. It might easily be the root of a premolar from one of these whales, I suppose.

post-42-1237263353_thumb.jpg

Nice stuff you got there

I was looking through boxes for one of my meg teeth and remembered this thread when I found a Squalodon specimen with a root that looks similar.

post-210-1237736105_thumb.jpg

post-210-1237736112_thumb.jpg

post-210-1237736117_thumb.jpg

by golly, you're probably right. if you could break the enameled part of the tooth off and take another picture, i could be sure...

no wait, stop! i was kidding!

sheesh