Asian Tooth...id?

abyssunder

Hello TFF !

Please help identify this tooth.Came from China with no details about location,geological age or genre.I think it`s possible to be from Pleistocene.I upload some pictures from different angles for an overall view.

post-17588-0-31235500-1431203509_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-31271500-1431203526_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-20290400-1431203554_thumb.jpg

post-17588-0-10962400-1431203567_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-90734800-1431203586_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-31032200-1431203608_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

...and also these

post-17588-0-59138100-1431203820_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-71127900-1431203832_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-90910400-1431203845_thumb.jpg

Thank you.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

No idea for an ID?

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks like a partial juvenile Platybelodon tooth to me.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks for your opinion.

If it is from a Gomphothere,I think you are right,it must be a juvenile one.

If it was found in China probably belongs to Gomphotherium,Platybelodon or Sinomastodon... :zzzzscratchchin:

Thomas Mann

My Library

At only an inch wide, it seems too small for a proboscidean, even a milk tooth. What about a partial lower molar of a large pig, like a m. Miocene Bunolistriodon. I've seen those from China at shows the last few years.

At only an inch wide, it seems too small for a proboscidean, even a milk tooth. What about a partial lower molar of a large pig, like a m. Miocene Bunolistriodon. I've seen those from China at shows the last few years.

I think this is the best avenue for finding a firm ID.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Your opinions are precious(as always),and I thank you for that,but this "avenue" for me looks more like a labyrinth considering that the Suidae family from the Miocene to Holocene has a lot of extinct subfamilies with a lot of genera,tribes and species,and the lack of comparable pictures on the internet, making me to believe it is very difficult to determine even a subfamily or a genus,in this case. For example,I have never seen a Bunolistriodon molar.

Thomas Mann

My Library

I thought "pig" at first too. It just didn't fit the bill for me. I did take the size into consideration. This is just the front tip of the tooth. If whole, I would assume this would have been around 5" long. But having said that, I still don't fully know who the tooth in question belonged to.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I think we're going in circles and get the same question as in previous cases:are we dealing with a Proboscidean or a Suid?
My first thought was also "pig",but in this case (I think) Sus scrofa is excluded.
If the tooth is from a juvenile Proboscidean why are the cusps so glossy and the chewing surface so used,and the arrangements of the cusps in zig-zag instead of being aligned in two rows?
I'm inclined to believe (but I`m not convinced) that the molar belongs to a big (Miocene) Suidae,like Diceros said,Bunolistriodon,maybe Kubanochoerus(gigas) or similar.

post-17588-0-01556800-1431890242_thumb.gif If you click on the picture you can see the sample in rotation.

Edited by abyssunder

Thomas Mann

My Library