White River Badlands Fossils

jhemphill

Does anyone have any idea where i can buy quality fossils from the white river badlands oligocene, btw I have seen Ryans rare coins and antiques and Douglas fossils. I know that the badlands are full of fossils, and i was pretty surprised at the lack of quality fossil that are for sale.

P.S. I am mostly interested in the hyaenodon species, so any places u know that i could buy those would also be appreicated.

As you know, nice Hyaenodon fossils whether jaw sections or skulls are uncommon. You need to go to one of the larger mineral/fossil shows (Tucson in February or Denver in September) to see a few dealers who specialize in Badlands mammals. You can make good contacts there. You might even find a French/European dealer with hyaenodonts from the Late Eocene-Oligocene of France. You can try finding an online guide to Tucson dealers from this past February.

Does anyone have any idea where i can buy quality fossils from the white river badlands oligocene, btw I have seen Ryans rare coins and antiques and Douglas fossils. I know that the badlands are full of fossils, and i was pretty surprised at the lack of quality fossil that are for sale.

P.S. I am mostly interested in the hyaenodon species, so any places u know that i could buy those would also be appreicated.

Have you contacted Douglas Fossils? Hyaenodon are indeed rare. Kent who runs Douglas Fossils tells that he finds five good cat skulls for every good Hyaenodon skull he finds. And cats are rare. There is a good chance that no one has one for sale right now. It is best to get on some sort of list. There is also RJB rock shop. It looks like they don't have a web site, but a google search will get you Japh's phone number. Call him. Call Kent.

Edited by jpc

• 1 month later...

Every year at the Denver Gem and Mineral Show (the mart, not the coliseum show) there is a dealer I go to called RJB Fossils from Rapid City, SD. The have some reasonably priced stuff including $10.00 Oreodont and $20.00 Hyracodon rhinoceros teeth. Next time you are at the show, you should stop by them.

I would suggest contacting White River Preparium in Hill City SD. They prepare these fossils and might put you in contact with someone who might have something for you. Call for Ed or Sandy.