I Felt The Groove, Man

Perfect Castaway

Hello all,

A few years ago my hippie sister and her hippie friends invited me to a drum circle (hippies....lol) The drum circle was to take place on a farm some 60 miles or so north of Wichita, Kansas. I'm sorry, did I say farm? "Hippie Commune" is what they called it (hippies...lol). Armed with a copy of Oceans of Kansas I was determined to finally have my first successful fossil hunt.

I've been collecting fossils most of my life but I never had any luck finding them on my own. In fact, it wasn't until I was 25 years old that I found my first fossil. And it was a piece of snarge. No, literally, it was a piece of shark coprolite. 20 years of hunting fossils and my first find was a piece of shark poop. Anyway, I was very excited to do some fossil collecting in Kansas and so, not being one myself for hippie drum circles, I set off in search of fossils on the commune. And can you believe the hippies thought I was the weird one (hippies...lol)?

I quickly found lots of broken shells along a dry creek bed. It was very fossiliferous. The rocks were very nearly 50% fossils. Most of them no good but I did find a few nice pieces. Hours went by and yielded mostly shell fragments so I tried my luck in a different spot. That's where I found these. Not sure what to make of them exactly and since I don't find many fossils on my own I've never really had to do much research in identification. When you buy fossils on eBay, they usually tell you what they are. As near as I can tell on the geological map of Kansas it's either the Cretaceous or the Permian.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Timothy

post-1399-1237220060_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1237220072_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1237220083_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1237220094_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1237220108_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1237220118_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1237220127_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

The first two appear to be some kind of productid brachiopod. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

i'm going with permian, but you now live in an area where you can drive not too far and find much better preserved brachs in the pennsylvanian.

I've been trying to upload a picture with this for the last half an hour, but for some reason it won't upload. Anyway I believe it is a pinna clam. In the Pierre Shale we rarely find them complete, but if I can ever get this upload figured out I'll post a picture.

Guest solius symbiosus
i'm going with permian, but you now live in an area where you can drive not too far and find much better preserved brachs in the pennsylvanian.

Yep, the productids died off in "The Great Extinction".

Pointing out the first pic, I think I recognize a Dictyoclostidae Brachiopod member, something like Dictyoclostus sp. or Antiquatonia sp.. That sort of thing!

And definitely, Carboniferous (although, a member of the family survived the "Big One", Horridonia species!) ;)

I think I finally figured this out and hope the photo comes up. Do you see the similarities with a pinna clam?

post-1148-1237345033_thumb.jpg