Mosasaur Tooth And Vert Views

tracer

north texas versions. the first picture shows the root-end of the base of the tooth, which i think is pretty distinctive and not much like a gagator or crocosmile. the verts are pretty distinctive once you look at enough of them. they strongly resemble mosasaur verts. um, so anyway, then the "edge view" of the toof shows it's got non-serrated edges on the sides and striations and all that. well anyway, i really like mosasaurs and am fairly sure they would have been friendly and fun as pets.

post-488-0-82648100-1304881744_thumb.jpg

post-488-0-95016200-1304881747_thumb.jpg

Man that's a sweet tooth.A find or a purchase?

i bought it because it's the nicest NSR mosey tooth i've ever seen so i had to.

...i really like mosasaurs and am fairly sure they would have been friendly and fun as pets.

Imagine the looks you'd get playing fetch at the beach this summer...

You'd hurl a frisbee our over the surf and >WHAM!< ol' Snoopy erupts and snags it in the air!

I'll wager the snowbirds would be impressed! :o

Purdy tooth anyway, pard.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice tooth. But I wouldn't want the bearer of that as a pet. Would have to spend too much time moping the kitchen, and then wondering if I need to look for the cat...

Be true to the reality you create.

Your tooth there makes me even more certain that what i have is a mosasaur. It helps to have a croc tooth now to compare it to. Anyway nice purchase.

post-1406-1237241757_thumb.jpg

Your tooth there makes me even more certain that what i have is a mosasaur. It helps to have a croc tooth now to compare it to. Anyway nice purchase.

yeah, i was hoping the root-area view would help some with the IDs.

yeah, i was hoping the root-area view would help some with the IDs.

The one on the left looks like yours on the inside minus the hole and the croc tooth on the right looks alot like the outside on the inside

Very nice, but I'm fairly certain that the tooth would normally be growing out of a jaw and not a vertebra.

Very nice, but I'm fairly certain that the tooth would normally be growing out of a jaw and not a vertebra.

look, um, maaaaan! <standing on tippy toes, cranking chin sideways and squinting one eye> i dint put 'em side-by-side because i dont know how to spell "juxtaposition", ok?!?! plus i'm a fan of verticality. plus tj made me do it that way. plus he said it's because that's how auspex would do it.

(it is just me or is a pattern starting to emerge here?)

i bought it because it's the nicest NSR mosey tooth i've ever seen so i had to.

That vert is the twin of the beautiful one I found on my very first trip to the NSR.

I have a tooth almost identical too... almost identical, except that mine's cracked in half top-to-bottom (along the vertical axis), so you get a full cross-section of the tooth. :)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

That tooth looks like mine, better make sure mine is still here, Any way very nice tooth and vert.

north texas versions. the first picture shows the root-end of the base of the tooth, which i think is pretty distinctive and not much like a gagator or crocosmile. the verts are pretty distinctive once you look at enough of them. they strongly resemble mosasaur verts. um, so anyway, then the "edge view" of the toof shows it's got non-serrated edges on the sides and striations and all that. well anyway, i really like mosasaurs and am fairly sure they would have been friendly and fun as pets.

Wow nice tooth and vertebrae .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Let's apply a little causology; he put the tooth on top of the vert because it couldn't get up there on it's own.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!