Good Weekend Of Diving

megateeth

I found several Megs this weekend. The water is finally warming. It was really nice to spend extended time in the water again.

post-1309-1237251362_thumb.jpg

Saturday's Finds

post-1309-1237251375_thumb.jpg

My best finds of the weekend.

A 6.25" Meg and 3" Mako

post-1309-1237251387_thumb.jpg

Sunday's Finds

post-1309-1237251397_thumb.jpg

5.5" Meg and 2.75" Mako

post-1309-1237251415_thumb.jpg

Verts, Ears and other bones

It must be nice. I can't wait for the water to warm up in N.C. so I can crawl around the bottom of a river. Nice finds. What's the water temp where you dive?

when you guys are diving you are just looking right on the bottom and there just laying there? Im just curious how you guys go about finding these. Also any wierd or scary encounters while on the bottom of the river any big alligators or catfish anything crazy

I'm definitely in the wrong part of Georgia. Fantastic finds!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

It must be nice. I can't wait for the water to warm up in N.C. so I can crawl around the bottom of a river. Nice finds. What's the water temp where you dive?

In like a week it jumped from 54 to 64. The nice thing is being able to wear thin gloves again without feeling like your hands are about to fall off.

when you guys are diving you are just looking right on the bottom and there just laying there? Im just curious how you guys go about finding these. Also any weird or scary encounters while on the bottom of the river any big alligators or catfish anything crazy

Every once in awhile you look down and see a tooth. Normally between the bad vis and bottom conditions you are digging through the sand or mud. This weekend I was digging and the only teeth I saw were a few of the makos. Like I said in my previous post is the key is the water warming enough to wear thin gloves. Then you can feel what you are digging through.

Scary encounters? Once I was diving near the sound where larger sharks come sometimes. Something grabbed my fin and just held on. I kicked with my other foot and hit something solid and it let go. I thought "maybe it was a big log or something that drifted by and caught my fin. Then it grabbed my fin again and I kicked and it let go again. I started swimming up current to get in front of the boat so I could drift back on the surface and started finding Megs. I remember thinking "It did not kill me last time so I should be ok." I finished my dive.

The thing that worries me are the stingrays. Sometimes The vis is 8 or so inches so my head is 6-8 inches from the bottom and a stingray will speed by between my head and the bottom. It just seems they should not be able to do that. I worry that one will just flip its tail up and I will be in a great deal of pain.

man those teeth must be such a pain to deal with. maybe if i take one off your hands? i understand you'd probably want me to take the 6 incher, but i'm not picky. any of them will do. :)

Guest N.AL.hunter

Geez!! I wish I could dive for teeth like that too. Really nice megs and makos. I'll try super snorkeling again for teeth down in Florida, but suspect I won't find anything that large. Wow.

What people do not understand is you can freeze through a whole winter diving and not have a weekend like that. This was the best I have done in I can not remember how many months. I have been keeping track of my finds for about a month and photographing them here:

Megalodon Teeth Dives

While I have done pretty well you can see it was nothing like this week. I have bags from days where all I found was a few bones and never even unpacked them yet.

In like a week it jumped from 54 to 64. The nice thing is being able to wear thin gloves again without feeling like your hands are about to fall off.

My busted ear drum is popping with envy... :P

Great pix - thanks!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Every once in awhile you look down and see a tooth. Normally between the bad vis and bottom conditions you are digging through the sand or mud. This weekend I was digging and the only teeth I saw were a few of the makos. Like I said in my previous post is the key is the water warming enough to wear thin gloves. Then you can feel what you are digging through.

Scary encounters? Once I was diving near the sound where larger sharks come sometimes. Something grabbed my fin and just held on. I kicked with my other foot and hit something solid and it let go. I thought "maybe it was a big log or something that drifted by and caught my fin. Then it grabbed my fin again and I kicked and it let go again. I started swimming up current to get in front of the boat so I could drift back on the surface and started finding Megs. I remember thinking "It did not kill me last time so I should be ok." I finished my dive.

The thing that worries me are the stingrays. Sometimes The vis is 8 or so inches so my head is 6-8 inches from the bottom and a stingray will speed by between my head and the bottom. It just seems they should not be able to do that. I worry that one will just flip its tail up and I will be in a great deal of pain.

cool thanks for answering my question i do have to say i would love to find those teeth but i dont know if i could be down in the water and not see whats around me. You are a little crazy i do have to say. but people could say the same about me I go out in the ocean in a kayak and catch sharks and other fish that could hurt me if not careful.

cool thanks for answering my question i do have to say i would love to find those teeth but i dont know if i could be down in the water and not see whats around me. You are a little crazy i do have to say. but people could say the same about me I go out in the ocean in a kayak and catch sharks and other fish that could hurt me if not careful.

We all do things that seem crazy to other people. I met a guy once that went on about how dangerous my type of diving was. He kept saying that he was not brave enough to do what i do. Awhile later I asked him what he did for a living and he said that he climbed trees and cut off large branches with a chainsaw!!! :o

We all do things that seem crazy to other people. I met a guy once that went on about how dangerous my type of diving was. He kept saying that he was not brave enough to do what i do. Awhile later I asked him what he did for a living and he said that he climbed trees and cut off large branches with a chainsaw!!! :o

yeah what we do for hobbies that most would consider dangerous are right and wrong I know myself i take all safety precautions when i venture out in to the ocean as im sure you do and the chances of something happening to us are probably more slim then most peoples everyday actions. The part that freaks me out about what you do is just the not knowing what could be a few feet away not so much the fear of something actually happening. I think what you do would be some one whos clostrophobic worst nightmare