Fossil Hunting Locations?

jhemphill

I am an amateur fossil collected and would love to get in some fossil hunting this summer. What are some public sites that I could visit in Connecticut, near fairfield county preferably. I am mostly interested in vertebrate fossils, but anything will do. I don't want to have to mess with permits or permission, so only completely public sites.

Thanks

Many fossil locations on that site are inaccessible, or the directions to reach the site are too vague to be of any use. It's a great resource, one I have used before, but I wanted to give you a fair warning before you take a long trip to find nothing. I have no personal experience with Connecticut fossils, I can only recommend google searches or a forum post to the Connecticut subforum. Ideally, research the scientific literature and get some geologic maps. Happy hunting!

I am an amateur fossil collected and would love to get in some fossil hunting this summer. What are some public sites that I could visit in Connecticut, near fairfield county preferably. I am mostly interested in vertebrate fossils, but anything will do. I don't want to have to mess with permits or permission, so only completely public sites.

Thanks

Unfortunately,there is no such thing as a "completely public site" in Connecticut. :(

Sites with fossils are either on State land, Nature Conservancy land, ... or private property.

Nothing really near Fairfield county, either, ... as most of the fossils are in the central part of the state.

Sorry, but your best bets are to visit Dinosaur State Park or the Yale Peabody Museum.

Regards,

EDIT: Most of the sites on the web page listed above no longer exist even, and are listings from the late 1800s to the early parts of the 1900's.

A lot has changed since most of those sites were recorded.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me