My Petrified Wood Collection..

patraney

I have collected petrified wood from creeks and rivers in Texas all my life. I had no idea how valuable and collectable it is. My question to you professional collectors is....... How does my collection rate compared to your collections? Below is a dropbox link with my pictures. I have to figure out how to make smaller before I can post directly on site... sorry. Thanks for your help...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tq4fuxl3ueeq2b3/AAAr2TMl0jRWBoaibzH90Ofta?dl=0

That's some great looking wood with lots of character. I especially like the "hollow log" piece. If you give the general location where you collected, there will be Forum members who can give you some details regarding the age and possibly type.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Welcome. Well you've got me beat by a Texas mile. Nice pieces! My guess would be that most are from the Cretaceous period (but that's just a guess).

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

What an interesting collection of pieces!..Very neat.

I only have a few pieces from elsewhere in the U.S.---just never was anywhere over the years that had any significant stuff to bring home. Its probably a good thing as I'm not sure I could even walk now if I brought that many huge pieces back...and I'm sure I would have tried to--the back just wouldnt have taken that I'm afraid..

Thanks for showing us the finds...maybe some of the Texas folks can tell you as others have already suggested can give you age/possible species...

Regards, Chris

Those are some very pretty pieces of petrified wood. Here's my advice. If you want them identified, pick one or two of your best preserved pieces, provide more information on the location/age, and post them over in the fossil id forum.

Thanks everyone... like I said I am new to this... just never realized what I had till now...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that is an interesting assortment of wood. Some nice pieces in there.

I am guessing by your location (close to mine), that most of it came from southeast-ish Texas. Some of the pieces appear to have been in "a river" for a while. The water can do interesting things to the wood.

As for comparison, most of my pieces haven't been getting tumbled in the river, although some have. I have some pieces that look just like yours. I also have lots of small pieces and some back breakers. As for value, it is all in what someone is willing to pay. I've seen it go for free to 10 cents a pound to double digits in an auction for an ugly piece that I would have left behind on the ground because I have too many already. For the person that has never found a piece, it seems to be very fascinating for them and they sometimes would pay good money. I would sell almost my entire collection if I could find somebody to give me that high price rate for it.

If they came from nearby (by Texas standards) then they are most likely Eocene epoch. Bring a few over to the HGMS Paleo meeting on July 21 and we may be able to get a few id's. The totally rotted ones are usually to difficult to identify. The more silicified ones with good cell preservation are easier to identify.

• I found this Informative 1

Wow! That's quite a collection, especially for a newbe. Value is greatly dependent on location. We have a rock and fossil store in Roswell where petrified wood does not command a lot of attention. The most common comment we get is: " I can find that in my backyard"