Another Strange Looking Fossil From Exotic Location.

regainfreedom

I got this fossil from the same friend that gave me the unidentified fossils which maybe Dickinsonia Costata, I have no idea what is this other than it is from a cave in Irian Jaya. He suggest that this is Dickinsonia Costata but we are not sure of the id and would be glad to know what fossil is this. I have posted the picture of the fossil. I think it might be related to a sponge fossil such as Siphonia sp from Europe.

This is the first picture.

post-460-1237290942_thumb.jpg

I'd love to narrow-down the choices...Was it removed from matrix, or found loose? Is the age of the formation known? What other things are associated with it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

I don't know the laws and customs of Indonesia, but in western countries it is unethical to remove material from caves, and in areas that I am aware of, it is illegal.

I pulled this from the New Zealand Speleological Society website, but it basically the same for any society:

We will not remove any deposit, speleotherm, sub-fossil remains, flora or fauna, or any other naturally occurring thing from a cave or karst area without first obtaining permission from the administering authority.

I'd love to narrow-down the choices...Was it removed from matrix, or found loose? Is the age of the formation known? What other things are associated with it?

Hi, I will try to get as much info as possible from my friend =)

Thanks!

Hi, I have got more info regarding this fossil, the "cave" turns out to be a quarry that produces nickel. I can't be certain about the age, it maybe from before the age of dinosaurs, maybe Devonian. I am not sure whether this fossil is found with matrix. I heard from my friend that the locals washed it with water from the river or perhaps under running water or tub.

I have taken more pictures of two other specimens that belongs to my friend and will post them soon =)

One of them is actually being made into a necklace.

post-460-1237460353_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have got more info regarding this fossil, the "cave" turns out to be a quarry that produces nickel. I can't be certain about the age, it maybe from before the age of dinosaurs, maybe Devonian. I am not sure whether this fossil is found with matrix. I heard from my friend that the locals washed it with water from the river or perhaps under running water or tub.

I have taken more pictures of two other specimens that belongs to my friend and will post them soon =)

One of them is actually being made into a necklace.

post-460-1237460435_thumb.jpg