Another Nm Shark Tooth

2ynpigo

Attached is a photo of a shark tooth collected from the Whitewater Arroyo Shale Tongue of the Mancos Shale in Sandoval County, New Mexico. The Mancos is Cretaceous in age. I collected what pieces I could find, then glued them back together to repair the piece. Not complete, but these bigger teeth are tough to find.

Any ideas on what genus/species?

post-1365-1237333679_thumb.jpg

That really looks like an Otodus. Problem is, they debuted in the Paleocene (as far as I know).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Based on the age, location and ridges (striations) on the cuspslets (side cusps), I would say it's a good candidate for an anterior tooth of Cretodus Crassidens. Could also be Cretodus semiplicatus, but would need a good pic of the other side (labial view).

Based on the age, location and ridges (striations) on the cuspslets (side cusps), I would say it's a good candidate for an anterior tooth of Cretodus Crassidens. Could also be Cretodus semiplicatus, but would need a good pic of the other side (labial view).

Attached is a photo of the back of the tooth. Does this help differnentiate between C. Crassidens and C. semiplicatus? Thanks for any opinions.

I have other shark teeth from a different New Mexico locality where small teeth are easy to find. If people are interested in seeing photos of them I can post them sometime soon.

post-1365-1237587767_thumb.jpg

I have other shark teeth from a different New Mexico locality where small teeth are easy to find. If people are interested in seeing photos of them I can post them sometime soon.

Bring 'em!

I enjoy the material from different locations (and I appreciate the effort you put into posting them) :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!