Theropod Vertebra Process?

yzhang

Item from ebay.. The honey-cone bone structure seems like from a theropod and the seller claim it Tyrannosaurus stuff...

Is there anything more can be seen from the vertebra process? Thanks!!

post-14501-0-69404600-1434071776_thumb.jpeg

post-14501-0-31036200-1434071802_thumb.jpeg

post-14501-0-91338600-1434071829_thumb.jpeg

Edited by yzhang

I cannot say if it is T. rex or not, (and I have worked on two of them). I see normal dinosaur internal bone structure, not distinctive T. rex honey combing, which, by the way, is only in the centrum and does not extend into the processes.

But just as a public service announcement, when you have more than one they are vertebrae, when there is only one, it is a vertebra.

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 1

I agree with jpc its a difficult call with your small specimen. I compared it to vertebrae in my collecton and a SVP journal on the osteogy of T Rex and came way leaning more toward Ceratopsian rather than T rex. Rex vertebra at that point are actually thinner and do not have that mass.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with jpc its a difficult call with your small specimen. I compared it to vertebrae in my collecton and a SVP journal on the osteogy of T Rex and came way leaning more toward Ceratopsian rather than T rex. Rex vertebra at that point are actually thinner and do not have that mass.

Thank you Troodon as always! I now agree with you that this piece does not look much like a t-rex.

Thanks you jpc for your opinion and for correcting my English error: )

You are not the only one who says that, so my educational thrust was for general consumption.