Is This A Toe Or Hoof Fossil?

sweeneyb

I found this today while in the creeks of Gainesville and have never seen anything like it before. It appears to be a hoof or toe of somethign that has been fossilied can someone please ID?

post-502-1237344828_thumb.jpg

Could be a dugong tusk, they show up in Gville creeks occasionally. I personally dont think it is a toe or hoof. Very cool.

Dunno Brian. I found one like that a couple of weeks ago.. Mine has a lot of crud still stuck on it.. afraid to chip anything until I know what comes off and what doesn't. Help on these anyone?

~Mike

post-1298-1237345137_thumb.jpg

All your fossils are belong to us

Thanks for the link Matt! Those guys from Micanopy find some great stuff. I'm not sure if my thing is what they have.. but I'll figure it out. :-)

~Mike

From the pic it looks like an internal cast of some kind of invertebrate. The material looks like limestone.

Dunno Brian. I found one like that a couple of weeks ago.. Mine has a lot of crud still stuck on it.. afraid to chip anything until I know what comes off and what doesn't. Help on these anyone?

~Mike

It is definitely some type of tooth. It looks like there is enamel on the end.

I found this today while in the creeks of Gainesville and have never seen anything like it before. It appears to be a hoof or toe of somethign that has been fossilied can someone please ID?

They do find great stuff! I wish that guy would put a guided fossil trip on Ebay lol I would bid very high :)

I've met the guy before...He hunts close to 60 hours per week in the G'ville creeks.. It's not that he has these amazing spots, it's that he puts more time in one week there than most people do in a whole year.

I've met the guy before...He hunts close to 60 hours per week in the G'ville creeks.. It's not that he has these amazing spots, it's that he puts more time in one week there than most people do in a whole year.

I'm pretty sure he has some sweet secret spots though. He had a bunch of dire wolf material on ebay at one point from a gainesville site that apparently produces a lot of terrestrial material. I am told he is keeping it a guarded secret even from people he is acquainted with.

Your picture is kinda blurry but it appears to me that you have a small section of jaw bone with a worn down canine still in it

Your picture is kinda blurry but it appears to me that you have a small section of jaw bone with a worn down canine still in it

This is an excellent example of how, individually, we take differing impressions from the same image. To me, this object resembles a whale tooth with the cementum wrapper partially removed.

Clearly, one image, one angle, is not adequate for a confident ID of this object. Let's just agree that it's a "tooth-like object" until 'sweeneyb' posts more images.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Great observation here harry about differing impressions. I took the time to clean the picture up as much as i could zoom in and rotated it a little and i can cleary see that it might be a whale tooth as well

sweeney,

That is a tooth of some animal. However, the image is awful!! It is blurry and your fingers do nothing to add information to the image. Let me give you a couple of tips. Stand back from you fossil--about 18 inches will get you a sharp image. Lay your fossil on a smooth, neutral background--black or cream colored poster board is good. Then--crop the image down to just the tooth. By moving back, you'll get a sharp image and by cropping, you'll put the focus where it needs to be--on the fossil. Photograph the fossil either straight up or horizontal--and include something close to the fossil for a scale. A dime works nicely. Always, include both sides (or more) of the fossil. Try to aim your light on the most important part of the fossil, if you dont know which is upper or lower. Send more images, please. Thats a nice fossil.

Get in touch with your inner tulip!

Somewhere, your camera has an icon that looks something like this. Push it, turn it, do whatever is needed to activate it. Then, relax and take beautiful close-ups. (Don't forget to use good light!). :)

post-423-1237429416.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

sweeney,

That is a tooth of some animal. However, the image is awful!! It is blurry and your fingers do nothing to add information to the image. Let me give you a couple of tips. Stand back from you fossil--about 18 inches will get you a sharp image. Lay your fossil on a smooth, neutral background--black or cream colored poster board is good. Then--crop the image down to just the tooth. By moving back, you'll get a sharp image and by cropping, you'll put the focus where it needs to be--on the fossil. Photograph the fossil either straight up or horizontal--and include something close to the fossil for a scale. A dime works nicely. Always, include both sides (or more) of the fossil. Try to aim your light on the most important part of the fossil, if you dont know which is upper or lower. Send more images, please. Thats a nice fossil.

post-502-1237429444_thumb.jpg

post-502-1237429458_thumb.jpg

post-502-1237429476_thumb.jpg

Yeah. Worthy said it might be a barnacle or something.. I'll chip some crud off of it and see what's underneath.

~Mike

Thanks for the camera help everyone. My camera skills arent that great just shows how much I like taking pictures.

Awesome, now that we all have that one figured out I have about 10 things that I am not certain what they are but they sure seem ready to be interpreted! ;)

It could be one of these but well worn. B)B)B):D

Worthy,

You didnt include anything for scale either!! Are those teeth 1/4 inch or 6 inches height? Anyway, what are they? You didnt incude any identification to help the rest of us. Please and thanks. PY

The teeth in my picture are Whale and dolphin and they are 1 3/4" to 1 1/2" sorry next time I have a camera I will do a better job with adding a scale. B)B)B):D

post-23-1238118109_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!