Eastern New York Fossil Spots

FossilMo

Hey guys, I live in NY Queens. I have done some research on some fossil spots but I didn't find anything.Can anyone tell me a spot near me? I don't have that much time on my hands so I can't go to places far away. I appreciate it! Thanks a lot.

Edited by FossilMo

There just isn't much in the New York Metropolitan area to be found. Across the river in New Jersey there are (or were) Triassic sites and a few folks know how to access them but you would have to pick their brains for that info. I understand your pain. I moved from Ohio to New York City and found myself in paleo withdrawl for a number of years until two things happened: I joined the New York Paleontological Society and, with my wife, bought a car.

The brooks of Monmouth County, NJ are just an hour away. There are some decent sites up in the NW corner of NJ about an hour away as well. And within 2-3 hours drive you can hit some good spots in upstate NY.

If you join NYPS you can attend field trips as well as meet other collectors who can help you find fossils.

There just isn't much in the New York Metropolitan area to be found. Across the river in New Jersey there are (or were) Triassic sites and a few folks know how to access them but you would have to pick their brains for that info. I understand your pain. I moved from Ohio to New York City and found myself in paleo withdrawl for a number of years until two things happened: I joined the New York Paleontological Society and, with my wife, bought a car.

The brooks of Monmouth County, NJ are just an hour away. There are some decent sites up in the NW corner of NJ about an hour away as well. And within 2-3 hours drive you can hit some good spots in upstate NY.

If you join NYPS you can attend field trips as well as meet other collectors who can help you find fossils.

Thanks! Well it's true there isn't much here but I try my best to take myself to NJ sites. Sometimes I fell unlucky here but that's just how it is.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Join the New York Paleontological Society and they can hook you up for some trips around Albany. For fossils in NY you pretty much have to head upstate.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

There are Devonian fossils along Rte 9 In Kingston, at area roadcuts.

You might start to research sites listed in THIS website. The information is super old, and may no longer be accurate.

It will require careful research and some exploring to verify any sites listed on there.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me