Shark Teeth Found In Ocean City, Md

Gneave

I just spent a weekend in ocean city, so i decided to have a go at looking for teeth in the surf-break gravel just below the tide. I was not expecting to find a 1.4 inch great white and another equally impressive sand tiger! Look at the colors! They may be worn but they are absolutely beautiful and patterned in a very unique way. Although i have found a couple small brown-ish lumps that have turned out to be very worn teeth, i never expected these to wash up! This was in ocean city for crying out loud! There arent even any sea shells at this beach other than surf clams. But look at these!

post-18263-0-49384500-1434564995_thumb.jpg

post-18263-0-80936100-1434565073_thumb.jpg

I have heard of great white teeth showing up there but they are a rare find.

Maybe because nobody there knows to look for them. There might be places along the coast there that are relatively rich in teeth and nobody realizes it because they are all casual beachgoers. It is nearby to the aquia formation after all.

Sweet teeth! I like the color on the GW.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Ocean City Maryland is not near any outcrops of verte-fossiliferous sediment that I can think of. A large and deep excavation in downstate Delaware exposed a lot of Miocene vertebrate fossils but generally speaking the middle of the delmarva peninsula only has some very small low exposures on the eastern shore of the chesapeake along some rivers. the Choptank comes to mind. This is the first I've heard of shark teeth being found such as the ones you found at Ocean City Maryland.

Edited by Plax