mattandy84

I found this in one of my Austin TX ponds. It has uniform dimples all over. The closest 'living' nut I could find is the Texas Walnut, which is seamless, with a radicle (or nipple) at one end and an obvious scar (where a stem was attached) on the opposite side. I'm certian it is a nut, just not sure if it's fossilized or petrified.

post-11910-0-51546400-1434731859_thumb.jpg

post-11910-0-79516400-1434731896_thumb.jpg

Looks like the Cretaceous sponge Porosphaera.

(Although that genus appears to be European - something similar perhaps.)

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 1

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

looks like a sponge to me also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Sponge,also in my opinion.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think it is Porocystis globularis. They are described as an algal fruiting body. If you do a forum search you will see other posts with these.

• I found this Informative 2

I think it is Porocystis globularis. They are described as an algal fruiting body. If you do a forum search you will see other posts with these.

I agree. They can be locally very common. I've slipped on them among the rocks on an incline in my Dad's driveway. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm convinced, interesting organism and not a sponge at all though often mistaken for one :) . I wonder if they occur in Europe/UK?

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

You are right,Al Dente!

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Tah-daaahhhh!!!

Al Dente gets the cigar..

Many discussions on these "not just on this forum".

(Glen Rose formation) Fredricksburg Group

Usually when you find one of these you find many more and almost always associated with a twin spin tubular fossil that, its association, has yet to be fully explained and or understood.

Your specimen seems to be in pretty darn good condition.

Jess B.

Porocystis in Texas can be found in the Glen Rose Formation (Trinity Group) up into the Walnut Formation (Fredericksburg Group) as far as I know.