Better Photos Of Nm Ptychodus Teeth

2ynpigo

Here are 4 photos of 2 specimens of what several people thought were Ptychodus whipplei teeth.  This is about the best photos I can probably get, but they are better than what I showed before.These come from the Clay Mesa Shale Tongue of the Mancos Shale.  Cretaceous.I assume that Ptychodus remains the popular choice for an ID?Thanks for your help!

post-1365-1237417346_thumb.jpg

post-1365-1237417366_thumb.jpg

post-1365-1237417381_thumb.jpg

post-1365-1237417396_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Here's a PDF (click): Type locality of the Late Cretaceous shark Ptychodus whipplei Marcou, northern New Mexico

In 1853, French geologist Jules Marcou (1824-1898) made the first scientific observations on the geology of New Mexico when he traveled across the territory as the geologist of the Whipple expedition to determine a route for a transcontinental railroad (Lucas, 2001). Marcou collected many fossils along the expedition’s route, including a shark’s (selachian) tooth he found in Upper Cretaceous strata near Galisteo, in what is now Santa Fe County. Described by Marcou (1858, p. 33, pl. 1, figs. 4-4a ) as Ptychodus whipplei, this tooth was the first vertebrate fossil from New Mexico to be published in the scientific literature (Fig. 1). Here, based on available data, I establish the geographic and stratigraphic location of the type locality of P. whipplei.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Really nice teeth. I only find the Mortoni down here. Maybe someday I'll get to an area that has that species.

Interesting paper by Lucas. Thanks for the link.

There is a shark tooth locality not terribly far from where these teeth came from. This locality, referred to as "Shark Tooth Ridge" (isn't there such a place in all states??) is in the El Vado Sandstone Member of the Mancos Shale, same unit as mentioned in the article but quite a distance from Galisteo. Last time I was there was many years ago, but you could collect lots of small shark teeth, including these Ptychodus teeth.

These are cool teeth, and I feel lucky to have found them. A friend of mine found a really nice one in matrix a few weeks ago on the way to one of the ammonite areas.

Here's mine. The first tooth I ever found at Post Oak Creek in TX, and the best by far. ~1.5" in length, and with the most amazing color patterns and textures!

post-166-1237436502_thumb.jpg

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Here's mine. The first tooth I ever found at Post Oak Creek in TX, and the best by far. ~1.5" in length, and with the most amazing color patterns and textures!

Wow, 1.5 inches! The biggest I've seen from this area for these types of teeth have been maybe 3/4".