My Dinosaur Egg...or Not

Lauralam

• New Members

I have had this thing for most of my life. Found it in a cow pasture in Lexington, VA sometime b/w 1988 and 1990. It is brown, porous, hollow, and sort of egg shaped. It has not changed at all since I found it, except for apparently some ink marks and a glob what looks like glue from my childhood years I'm sure. No one has ever been able to tell me what it is, but I'll admit, I've never asked an expert. Part of me liked the mystery and since I was a child I've referred to it jokingly as my dinosaur egg. Any ideas? Not sure how much it weighs but it's pretty light, and definitely (at least mostly) hollow. If you get it wet, the water does seep into the pores.

post-18754-0-50973400-1434929063_thumb.jpg

post-18754-0-30836300-1434929146_thumb.jpg

It looks like a rounded piece of sandstone to me. Its been eroded, probably by water over time. Still pretty cool though, I like to pick up stuff like that if I'm in someplace where there's no fossils. And welcome to the forum!

• New Members

It does look like sandstone, but I assure you, it's not a rock. It makes a sounds more like plastic when you tap it and it's hollow. No idea.

if its not a rock it ain't a fossil in my experience.....however I have very very little experience.....

I seriously can't stand it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus.

its hollow? Sounds more like plastic? Could it be manmade perhaps? pottery?

I seriously can't stand it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus.

although it does look like sandstone...

wait till someone who knows what they're talking about comes on lol cos I can't do anything but hazard an inaccurate guess....

looks like a seed pod from a tree, can't remember which one.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It's a bezoar - a mass of hair, food particles, etc that forms in the stomach. I've seen a bezoar from a cow pasture before, and your description matches it exactly - light, slightly porous, seems hollow, not too hard. If you cut it open with a saw, you'll see the matted hair. And if you get the cut part wet, it will smell like you'd expect a ball of cow stomach hair to smell...

• I found this Informative 2

IMO,may be a sandstone Gastrolith from a cow,rather than Bezoar,an inorganic pseudobezoar,an indigestible object introduced into de stomach(digestive system) to help digestion.
I have one in my collection,it is a sandstone gastrolith regurgitated by a sheep. post-17588-0-10262900-1434963922_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• New Members

Thank you Opisthotriton! I think you're right!! Thanks everyone!