Is Petrified Wood Ok For A Fish Tank?

patraney

I have this really cool looking piece of petrified wood that has a face on it and a petrified crawfish hole.... How cool is that.... My question is, will it kill the fish... some one told me it would change the PH of the water. Is this true or false. Also if OK is it OK for both salt and fresh water? Thank You for your help. In case you missed my earlier post here is a link to all my collection pics. Enjoy. Pat https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tq4fuxl3ueeq2b3/AAAr2TMl0jRWBoaibzH90Ofta?dl=0

post-18592-0-39375300-1435261877_thumb.jpg

post-18592-0-90177200-1435261919_thumb.jpg

post-18592-0-90835900-1435261941_thumb.jpg

It depends on what the replacement rock is. If it's limestone, yes it will change the pH of the water--it'll make it more basic. If it's agate, it won't.

Try submerging it in vinegar and see if it effervesces (produces bubbles). If it does, it's likely limestone or carbonate-bearing, and will change the pH (it'll make the water more basic). In that case, I don't advise putting it in a tank with your fish, freshwater or salt.

Whether it's carbonate-bearing or not, you should rinse the piece in clean water after the vinegar test.

Agate, jasper, or quartz varieties (crystalline or chalcedony, for instance) are probably be safe enough, although as with anything else you want to introduce to your tank you should immerse the rock in clean water for a few days or a week first to remove soluble contaminants. If the water after a few days is visibly discolored or has an odor, soak it again until the end bath is clean.

The main concern I'd have would be whether it contains toxic compounds. Some minerals contain mercury or arsenic, for example. While all of the petrified wood I've seen in person has been some form of agate, jasper, or quartz, there are other minerals such as hematite that can form replacement fossils. Sandstone is porous and could include toxic compounds. You really want to be sure of what you're putting into the tank before exposing your fish.

It's certainly a cool piece, and I can see why you think it would look good in the tank! :D

Depends on what it is made of. Saltwater is already a no. Freshwater is less finicky, so unless you have plants (silica in the pet wood can cause high phosphates), I would say it will be ok.

Certain sandstones can contain some nasty silica based minerals that will create phosphates and cause algae growth, which is not good. If your fish tank is a tropical tank, it is especially not good.

African cichlids would love you petrified wood though...

But it will mess up your PH in a saltwater fish tank, which is a no.

Edited by TNCollector

fresh water fish live in limestone and sandstone rivers, streams and lakes. Won't hurt anything as long as you change the water once in awhile.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I had a salt water reef tank for years and wouldn't think of putting anything in the tank except reef rock that is native to the ocean reefs. Fish, inverts and corals are a little sensitive to elements outside of their natural habitat, besides Marine fish and corals cost a ton of money. Fresh water fish it would work just fine and have used pet wood in large amounts in the past-----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I've had no problems using petrified wood in any of my freshwater aquaria and I've had hundreds of them over the past 47 years of fishkeeping. I don't think I would use them in a saltwater tank, however...though that's based more on intuition than experience. As far as using carbonate-based rocks in a saltwater tank, keep in mind that the natural pH of saltwater ranges from about 8.1 to 8.4 (on the alkaline or 'basic' side of the pH scale) so rocks that increase the pH of the water can actually be beneficial in a saltwater aquarium. Carbonate-based rocks (like limestone) are also quite beneficial if you happen to be keeping freshwater fish from the African Rift Lakes (most often cichlids) where the pH is almost always on the alkaline side.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I'd say the rule of thumb with respect to limestone is know what your fish need, and monitor the pH. I was told by the local pet store owner who provides my freshwater fish that I should avoid marine shells and corals in particular. That's probably because of salt content.

If you add a new rock (of any type) to your tank and see your fish acting strangely within the first month, take it back out! You really should make the effort to find out what the rock is before introducing it to the tank. Be extra careful with porous rocks, as they're more likely to absorb environmental contaminants that can then leach out into your tank. Multiple cycles of soaking the new rock will remove some of that.

I've safely added large chunks of shale from my backyard into my freshwater tropical tank (I keep mostly tetras), after carefully cleaning them. The only behavior change I noticed was that as I was putting the rocks into the tank the first time, building a new den for the algae eater to hide in, the algae eater darted straight into it as soon as the top was on! :D