Chickens Descendants Of Velociraptors

Bev

I was watching a TV show the other day and Jack Horner, paleontologist from the Museum of the Rockies in Montana said that chickens were the direct descendants of Velociraptors - I'm probably spelling that wrong.

In context, he was being asked if we could actually bring back the dinosaurs - as in Jurassic World the movie - and he said (paraphrasing here) that in about 5 years we would be able to combine the DNA of chickens, the direct descendants of the Velociraptors, with... didn't catch that part, to create a dinosaur.

Chickens are NOT classed as raptors in the bird world. But I have several hens and boy, I can see the dinosaur in them! :-D

So, ARE chickens the direct descendants of the Velociraptor?

And if so, why are they not classified as raptors?

Thanks for your patience! :-D

post-9628-0-20662400-1435636308_thumb.jpg

One of my hens in front of a horseradish bed. :-) This particular girl likes to hang out with me in the food gardens. She loves to pick through the soil that I turn over looking for worms and grubs. She also loves it when I throw her over-ripe strawberries. She eats popcorn out of my hand and will even sit on my lap. :-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

There was an older post that brought up something similar that might answer some of the questions. It explores some of the ideas behind the Jack Horner idea.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44618-is-the-chickenosaurus-project-actually-possible/?hl=chicken

this video also shows some of the ideas behind the concept

As for being a direct descendant or why they aren't classified as raptors, I'm couldn't say

Edited by PetrolPete

So, ARE chickens the direct descendants of the Velociraptor?

And if so, why are they not classified as raptors?

It would be pretty hard to make a case for any birds being direct descendants of Velociraptor, but they certainly share a common ancestor (from before the enantiornithine/euornithes split).

The designation of Raptorial birds applies to the hawks, falcons, owls, eagles, & etc; that name was borrowed for naming the dinosaurian group. Your chickens are Gallinaceous birds, the group that includes grouse, quail, and turkeys.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had 3 pet chickens growing up in the suburbs. My last hatchling was a White Leghorn rooster that was the most beautiful bird I've ever seen. He lived for years, roaming freely in my back yard, and had sense enough to go inside his coop at night, for protection.

That crazy rooster was always fighting the squirrels in the back yard, and winning most of the battles.

The moral of this story, is that if the dinos ever do come back, I have a bad feeling that without advanced weaponry they would dominate the mammals, especially if the climate continues to change.

• I found this Informative 1

LOL I don't think that mammals would have stood a chance without the great extinction event!

When I was little we would get 10 baby leghorn roosters for a penny a piece in the spring. Raise them all summer and then butcher them in the fall. Those were some of the MEANEST creatures I have ever met! They kept the neighborhood kids at bay. My little brother couldn't step out the back door without being attacked. One, we called him "Mental" would even attack a full grown man - leap on the back of his shoulders and tear at his neck with claws and beak!

About 10 years ago I had a mean rooster at the barn (he was very pretty though) and I had a "Beware Attack Rooster" sign posted out front. Some Amish stopped by and the old man, about 45, got attacked by that rooster. Was he a hopping around! His sons were just a laughing! I guess they still talk about that! I said, "Didn't you see the sign?"

Old Man Miller said, "I thought it was just for fun."

I love my hens though. :-) I had one wonderful old man rooster. He died at 18 years old protecting the flock from a 'possum - they all lost. :-(

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 2 weeks later...

I find it an interesting topic. Since I was a child, I use to say that I wanted "them" to find out that the T-Rex was just a giant chicken. :)