Isurus Or Anotodus Retroflexus?

Otodusobliquus

I am very confused about this. In his newer book Capetta changed it from Isurus to Anotodus (I haven't seen the book, I read this on an earlier thread), but as far as I can tell the current longfin mako, which is considered to be the same species, is still in Isurus. Could someone clear this up for me please? By the way if anyone has a retroflexus bigger than this one I would like to see it. This one is 2.25 inches long slant,1.94 inches short slant, and 1.56 inches wide.

post-18617-0-65633100-1436551970_thumb.jpg

I don't know if I can clear it up for you. The modern longfin mako is Isurus paucus and has fairly narrow teeth, not broad like retroflexus teeth.

According to the latest Cappetta book, retroflexus was originally named Anotodus retroflexus but much later the genus Anotodus was synominized with Isurus. Glickman in 1964 decided the original genus Anatodus was valid and Herman in 1979 reclassified these teeth as belonging to Alopiidae based on some characteristics. These changes went ignored by most authors but now Cappetta agrees with Herman and his new book now has them as Anotodus retroflexus. There are many types of teeth that were lumped into Isurus that are now placed into different genera.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

I have read in several places including Kent's Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region that Isurus desori evolved to Isurus oxyrhincus and Isurus/Anotodus retroflexus into Isurus paucus. I don't know if this is up to date information though.

Yes, that is the traditional view which I still agree with. I don't see how retroflexus and paucus could be seen as belonging to separate genera. I don't have the new Cappetta book.

I have read in several places including Kent's Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region that Isurus desori evolved to Isurus oxyrhincus and Isurus/Anotodus retroflexus into Isurus paucus. I don't know if this is up to date information though.