Diving For Fossils

Koss1959

I know this is predominantly an american based site, but I know there are a handful of English fossil hunters.

I'm curious about diving for fossils. Specifically in Lyme Regis and Charmouth. I used to live with a scallop diver who would dive most days around Lyme and when I would show him my recent finds, he would often say how he sometimes sees them on the sea floor.

I was just wondering whether it'd be worth putting the money in for the training and gear to dive for fossils?

I live in the united states so I'm not sure how the price would compare but it cost probably about $2000 - 2500 US to get started when everything was said and done. This includes training and all the gear necessary. For me it has been completely worth it because I have found things diving that I never would have found on the surface.

If you are able to rent your gear, you can knock a significant portion of that price tag off, probably about 1000.

I have no clue if it is better to dive for fossils in the UK. I would consider the water temperature. Here in the southeastern US it regularly gets very warm in the summer. Not sure if that is the case for you.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

• 2 weeks later...

It would have been worth it about 5-10 years ago, but now there's not much left to dive for. It's been picked clean by the professionals diving for flatties. Dan is going to be having a go this summer. I'll let you know how he gets on ;)

Flatties ? ^_^

Sorry, local 'slang' :P. Flattie = flatstones.

These stones often hold the best and largest calcite ammonites :)