Crab Fossils In The Va/md/dc Area?

Nepenthesguy

I've heard that semi/fully intact crab fossils can be found in the area, but so far I haven't had any luck locating good sites for finding them. :/ So far a friend and I have only found bits and pieces of fossilized claws at the well known MD tooth collecting beaches. Anyone care to share some good spots or at least point me in the general direction of localities where I could find the nearly intact crab fossils? :) (I can understand if you don't want to share a hunting spot publicly, we all have some guarded hunting spots, but a pm can't hurt ;) )

Thanks,

R :)

I used to find the occasional crab carapace (in a well-eroded concretion) at Westmoreland State Park. The permitted area of access is more restricted now, so I imagine that these are even rarer now.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good luck :)

Thanks!

I used to find the occasional crab carapace (in a well-eroded concretion) at Westmoreland State Park. The permitted area of access is more restricted now, so I imagine that these are even rarer now.

The restrictions have been the main reason I haven't gone to Westmoreland yet, I tend to get curious and focused forgetting there are even any "no search zones" lol But I'll add it to the future search list!

Any other known spots? (even a landmark will help! lol it's how I found some older roadcuts last week :) )

This classic monograph has a lot of research clues:

Rathbun, M.J. (1935)

Fossil Crustacea of the Atlantic and Gulf coastal plain.

Geological Society of America Special Papers, 2:1-160

The Natural History Museum (LAC) has it available online in multiple parts with separate pdfs for all 26 photo plates.

Luckily I have the complete version in a single pdf. Please send a PM with email address and I'll be happy to send it.

Good luck!

Callianassa atlantica

Virginia: Isle of Wight County: Three quarters of a mile north of Zuni; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Nansemond County: Half a mile below Suffolk waterworks dam; Yorktown Formation

Callianassa mortoni

Delaware and Maryland: Matawan and Monmouth Formations (Pilsbry).

Callianassa sp. indet.

Delaware: 1 1/2 miles east of the Maryland-Delaware line on the south side Chesapeake and Delaware Canal; Post 105, C. & D. Canal; Matawan Formation

Callianassa suffolkensis

Yorktown formation, upper part: Nansemond County

Callinectes sapidus

Maryland: St. Mary's County; Wailes Bluff; Talbot Formation

Maryland: Wailes Bluff; left bank of Potomac River

Maryland: Ocean City, Worcester County

Virginia: Nansemond County: One mile northeast of Suffolk, in drainage ditch; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Northampton County

Cancer borealis

Virginia: Just below Old Grove wharf, left bank of James River, about 2 miles below Camp Wallace, James City County; lowest bed; lower part of Yorktown Formation

Cancer irroratus

Maryland: Plum Point, Calvert County, Chesapeake Bay; Calvert Formation

Maryland: St. Mary's County: Wailes Bluff; left bank of Potomac River

Chloridella empusa

Maryland: St. Mary's County: Wailes Bluff; left bank of Potomac River

Hoploparia georgeana

Maryland; found in an erosional exposure at Brightseat, Prince Georges County; Monmouth Formation

Libinia dubia

Virginia: Nansemond County: Suffolk; Yorktown Formation

Necronectes drydeni

Maryland: Calvert County: A float about 100 feet south of Calvert Beach, probably from "zone 17"; Choptank Formation

Panopeus herbstii

Maryland: St. Mary's County: Wailes Bluff; lower bed; Talbot Formation

Virginia: Westmoreland County: Nomini Cliffs; probably Calvert Formation

Virginia: Surry County: Claremont in marl pit; fossils taken from wall of pit and picked up from weathered-out material scattered about the floor of the pit; the uppermost Miocene bed around Claremont; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Southampton County: Sycamore; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Southampton County: Maddelys Bluff; probably Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Nansemond County: 1 1/4 miles north of Suffolk; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Nansemond County: 1 1/2 miles southeast of Reid's Ferry; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Nansemond County: Suffolk; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Nansemond County: Half a mile below Suffolk Water Works Dam; Yorktown Formation

Persephona punctata

Virginia: Nansemond County: At Calhoun Bridge about 3 miles northwest of Suffolk; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Tidewater Railroad, miles north of Suffolk; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: One mile northeast of Suffolk; Yorktown Formation

Virginia: Pitt County: 8 to 9 miles south of Greenville

Virginia: Duplin County; Magnolia; Duplin Formation

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Here's a clipping from the Jasper Burns book:

post-423-0-55525100-1436900629_thumb.jpg

He is referring in particular to the Stratford Hall beaches, which are now posted, but I have found them at the legally accessible south-end beach at Westmoreland SP.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Correct me if I am wrong, east coasters, but I imagine that crabs are pretty rare back east. More found as a by product of collecting other fossils. That is generally the way they are found here in the Cretaceus of WY. As opposed to WA/OR where there are well known crab sites.

Correct me if I am wrong, east coasters, but I imagine that crabs are pretty rare back east. More found as a by product of collecting other fossils. That is generally the way they are found here in the Cretaceus of WY. As opposed to WA/OR where there are well known crab sites.

You are correct; fossil crabs just "happen"; they can be hoped fpr but not expected (except maybe those southern Avit crab concretions).

This classic monograph has a lot of research clues:
Rathbun, M.J. (1935)
Fossil Crustacea of the Atlantic and Gulf coastal plain.
Geological Society of America Special Papers, 2:1-160
The Natural History Museum (LAC) has it available online in multiple parts with separate pdfs for all 26 photo plates.
Luckily I have the complete version in a single pdf. Please send a PM with email address and I'll be happy to send it.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I was actually able to get the full document from the museum :) This is a great resource, most of the localities I've located so far seem to still be accessible! Hopefully I'll be able to share coordinates once I pin the locations down and scout them out :)

Here's a clipping from the Jasper Burns book:

attachicon.gif~.jpg

He is referring in particular to the Stratford Hall beaches, which are now posted, but I have found them at the legally accessible south-end beach at Westmoreland SP.

Thanks! I really need to get a copy of that book (been using the local libraries copy, but can't really write notes in it lol). Looks like Westmoreland is back on the table for hunting :) only a 2 hour trip from home