American Cheetah, How Rare Is It To Find

Meldahl

I have found many bones and some teeth from what I'm told is American cheetah here in southwest Florida and was wondering how rare is something like this. I don't know very many fossil collectors and have sold alot of what I have found, still have a few pieces left in the collection, with a buyer that wants the rest. I'm torn, I don't think I'll find any more in my lifetime. So, anyone else out there finding this animal out there? And if so, what did you do with em.

American Cheetah (False Cheetah), Miracinonyx sp., fossils are very rare. As far as I know, the only large concentration of Miracinonyx bones was found in Natural Trap Cave in Wyoming in 1974. If your specimens are indeed from Miracinonyx, I would hang onto them.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

A third alternative would be to contact Dr. Richard Hulbert at the Florida Museum of Natural History [rhulbert <AT> flmnh.ufl.edu], and discuss donating your exceedingly rare fossils. If they are American Cheetah, from Florida, this is where they belong. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Miracinonyx (there are two species, M. trumani and M. inexpectatus) are pretty uncommon, but they are known from a lot of localities from California to Pennsylvania. I"m sure Richard Hulbert would like to see them.

• I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".