(big) Tooth Or Rock?

Pitviper

Found this in big brook today. I am brandy new to fossil hunting, so I've no idea if this could possibly be a tooth of some sort?

any help appreciated

496871849_GRr5K-L.jpg

496871729_Ed8zr-L.jpg

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

Hey Pitviper.Contortrix,Atrox...Heat Sensors and the like.

Where is the find from?

I'm taking a guess and saying that it's a nice rock tooth looking thingamagig.

However.... things could change in a moments notice :D

Found at big brook in New Jersey in a stream bed.

Cool rock

Idk Betts.. If I may call you that, "momma" just seems a little.. strange.. heh

It's not a tooth, but it may be bone..

~Eric

Turok1copy.png

Idk Betts.. If I may call you that, "momma" just seems a little.. strange.. heh

It's not a tooth, but it may be bone..

~Eric

I'm just not seeing the structure of bone here.

The surface looks very smooth to me.

Could we see a pic of the non pointed end?

Figured as much, thank you for your help :o) It was my third time out, so far I've found belemnites, goblin shark teeth, agerostera, exogyra, pycnodonte.... even if todays find isn't anything it's gotten me itching to go back out looking!

Figured as much, thank you for your help :o) It was my third time out, so far I've found belemnites, goblin shark teeth, agerostera, exogyra, pycnodonte.... even if todays find isn't anything it's gotten me itching to go back out looking!

Hay that is what it is all about, keep going out ever chance you get, the more you do the more you will start finding. You have to get familar with the area that you are looking in, to give you an idea of what is there. After a while you will train your eye to spot them right off and it will be easier to find the fossils. Good luck and keep looking.

Can you post some pics of the Pycnodonte material when you get a chance,,and also the Goblins.

Anyone have suggestions where to look in a stream bed site such as Big Brook?

I waded upstream until I found exposed gravel beds which I visually inspected, I then looked for exposed orange rocks in the muddy bottom and sifted some of those, figuring the one in deeper water were likely to be overlooked by others (?).

I also saw bands in the bank that had the right sediment layer, and looked promising, but I know it's discouraged to dig the banks so I resisted. Is fast or slow moving water preferred? or does it not much matter? Thanks!!! I'm a total noobie!

Hey snakekeeper,

That's a nice little triangulum though I can't tell what species. No surpise the same people get into reptiles as dinosaurs huh! I keep jungle carpet pythons, green tree pythons, varanus acanthurus and a real nice california infernalis (red sided garter).

Hey snakekeeper,

That's a nice little triangulum though I can't tell what species.

It's a Celaenops or New Mexican Milksnake field collected North of the Davis Mountains in West Texas.

Those Red Sided Garters are protected aren't they? They are very pretty though!

Celaenops is a nice tricolour, I also like a nice clean annulata but santa rita locale pyro's are my all time favorite milksnake... the only thing I get to field collect in NJ with any regularity are watersnakes, garters, maybe a dekayi or diadophis, an eastern milk is a rare treat but they occasionally appear in and around my office believe it or not!

The garter you're thinking of, (I forget the common name) is thamnophis sirtalis "tetrataenia", very similar to my beloved infernalis, but without the pesky jail sentence! I think these are being reclassified too, so even proper names are a bit muddied these days.

Lot to be said about a good Santa Rita :D

post-1313-1237840875_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.