Fun Day At The Quarry

tuscarora-th

Saturday I took my boy on his first official fossil hunt (digging up the back yard isn't official, though we did find some neat stuff).Shamalama of this forum very graciously invited us to one of his sites. It was an old quarry and was very unique in its formations. Im not gonna butcher this by trying to tell you all the scientific terms, but Shamalama(Dave) pointed out that there were several different strata at this site. I would like to thank him and say how knowledgeable he was, and how generous ge was to share this info. so my boy and I could have a great day together. Maybe he will chime in with the technical info that makes this site unique. For me and my boy (after this trip I think we'll call himm dirt monster) It wasnt about termonolgy or identification it was about discovery and the joy on his face when he found a fossil. He actually had quite the eye whenever he wasnt climbing trees or trying to scale the sheer cliffs. We mostly found brachiopods, echinoids, and possibly chrinoids. I will post some pics after I try my first attempt at extracting these fossil from the matrix. I had a couple that I liked in which the fossil was made of chert and tiny quartz crystals.

First pic is Shamalama Dave and my boy Dakota

Couple pics of the quarry

Me trying not to hit my thumb (again)

post-1349-1237859254_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1237859279_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1237859317_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1237859338_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good trip for both of you. Most curious to see your finds!

I LOVE QUARRIES!

Wish there were more around to get into...

Welcome to the forum!

Mmmmmmm Mmmm! Old PA quarries... :)

(BTW, "dirt monster" would be an awsome Forum handle!)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

(BTW, "dirt monster" would be an awsome Forum handle!)

Man I should use that for my son! He's only 1, but he loves the dirt! Loves to grab my fossils off the shelf too... <_<

Guest solius symbiosus

Whoa! Those beds appear to be dipping at 45°. Bet there is some nice structure around there.

Look forward to more pics.

Whoa! Those beds appear to be dipping at 45°. Bet there is some nice structure around there.

Look forward to more pics.

Actually they are near vertical, the picture is taken at an angle. The whole region is a complex synclinorium without many thrust faults. I'll post more info on the site in locations as I get it all together.

Had a great time on Saturday with Mike and his son. Plenty more to explore in that quarry and I finally got me a complete Trilobite (enrolled Calymene). :D Good pics although the camera does tend to add ten pounds... no wait... those were just the fossils I'd collected.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Besides the first picture, my boy took the rest of the photos, explaining any curious tilting of the camera. Other than that he didnt do to bad.