Help With Plant Fossil Id

Dakota

Hello,

I'm hoping you might help me ID this plant fossil. It was found in a nodule of petroleum-smelling shale inside a massive piece of barren sandstone in the largely marine region of the Coalinga Oil Fields in California. I have several pieces, many of which have small lumps of amber, along with black, carbonized plant material that looks very coniferous. I know that Margeriella cretacea has been found in the Moreno formation of the Panoche Hills, but I'd not heard of similar finds in the largely marine Coalinga area. I suspect the shale was indeed "rock" before it was included in the sandstone, so I suspect it could be considerably older than the marine sandstone that encased it. In this piece, you can see what appears very much like a small seed cone in the upper portion, near the edge. Most of the other plant material in the other pieces is very black and cabonized, but this piece has a wider profile, and is lighter colored. The amber nodules in the other pieces are quite small (only 3-5 millimeters across) and are dark orange colored. This isn't much to work with, but any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you,

post-19094-0-75059700-1437552679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dakota

There is something going on where I've marked it, and possibly some other indistinguishable bits.

post-423-0-23641300-1437567356_thumb.jpg

I do not know what you have...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, that's the most interesting feature, other than the little amber bits in some of the other pieces, along with obvious plant material throughout the chunks I chipped out. With all the other plant material, etc., I suspect this object (circled) may also be a plant part, and it sort of looked to me like a small cone that's been worn down to the core with bits of the "petals" on each side. Very strange. Thanks,