Good Dive

flflintknapper

Went diving the Wakulla River this past weekend just because the water is so nice. there are some nice fossils in there, but you have to work for them. After finding a few horse teeth and some other small fossils, I came across this guy, It was under a huge flat top rock that I could not move, so I had to dig it out.

Points111.jpg

"If you find yourself lost in the woods, build a house! This will strongly improve your perdicament."

The wakulla is a beautiful river, I want to get back and dive it some more. The st. marks is nice as well.

Miocene/Eocene

Guest N.AL.hunter

Really nice!! I've been to that river several times and always saw a lot of our toothy friends sunning themselves and under the water too. Did you have any close encounters?

Man that is a first rate fossil right there!

Bet your heart was jumping out of your chest when you saw what it was.

The wakulla is a beautiful river, I want to get back and dive it some more. The st. marks is nice as well.

After diving Rivers in the SE for ten years, I have only had one close encounter and we both went our separate ways, FAST! I don't know about you, but im a believer that we all have an expiration date on our bodies already, so I am going to have fun with what time I have in this life. If its my fate to be eaten by an alligator, then so be it, but I promise you that it will not be an "easy" meal. I saw 5-6 Gators over 6' sunning on the banks over the weekend and the only encounter I had was with a few Manatees. They scare me every time, the big ones are very intimidating and I never see them until they are right on top of me.

"If you find yourself lost in the woods, build a house! This will strongly improve your perdicament."

Awesome. Sloth claw is near the top of my wish list. Good stuff.

I've got a lot of things on my wish list before you'd get to any fossils.

What a wonderful, wonderful fossil! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice Paramylodon claw. Is it complete or missing a little off the proximal end? I've found probably 5 or so complete Paramylodon claws myself, but I can't seem to find the big ones complete always missing a little.

yeah, that's a pretty special find. good condition too, so it's impressive and readily recognizable.

Its complete and the best example I have seen in awile. The bigger ones are really hard to find, like the 11" one Mark Renz found.

That claw is awesome! Very cool dive that must have been. It is really funny that you mention the run in with manatees. I have surfed about all of my life in Florida and people say "You must have had close encounters with lots of sharks". Really I have not seen many sharks but the one close encounter was at Sebastian Inlet where I was surfing and out of no where this huge grey shadow was in the water right under me and upon a very scared look in the water found it to be a huge manatee! Very scary till I knew what it was and then i gently let him glide under my foot and about ten feet from me it surfaced and relaxed inside the wave line. I also found my best fossil to date at Sebastian Inlet right on the beach, a very nice mastodon tooth.

Yes the Manatee, such a ferocious creature.... Scared the heck out of me twice. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's the little harmless spider that drops in your lap while driving that can kill you.

BTW, that is an awesome claw. Considering it is the bone "core", does anyone have any ideas about how long the actual claw would have been? I'm just thinking about how long current sloth claws are...although their development is probably driven by different adaptations.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yeah, it's the little harmless spider that drops in your lap while driving that can kill you.

BTW, that is an awesome claw. Considering it is the bone "core", does anyone have any ideas about how long the actual claw would have been? I'm just thinking about how long current sloth claws are...although their development is probably driven by different adaptations.

well, yes, actually, i've studied claws. based on extrapolation involving literally multiples of specimens, i can say with a degree of certainty that it would be about this long. <holding up hands to show how big it was>

Nice claw..(feels a sudden urge to itch)...yep, not bad. I can sympathise about those manatees. Years ago my canoe got a bit to close to a big rock. when to push off and...(you guessed it) it pushed back.

Be true to the reality you create.

Oh, BTW Flflintknapper, as a knapper myself, I was impressed with the HUGE amount of very nice Coastal Plains Chert in the Santa Fe. I brought a bunch home to kiln up and try. I'll post the results.

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

Oh, BTW Flflintknapper, as a knapper myself, I was impressed with the HUGE amount of very nice Coastal Plains Chert in the Santa Fe. I brought a bunch home to kiln up and try. I'll post the results.

~Mike

Good to know another Knapper on here, If the chert you are referring to is the Blue/Grey color, it needs pretty high heat, but knaps well. I call it Santa Fe Blue. I have a few pounds of that too, wish I had a Kiln.

Excellent find. I'm going to have to get down to Florida some day! The only decent land mammal fossil that I have is a bison tooth (a good one though). I'd freak if I found something like that!

Kevin Wilson