Ammonite Zone Question

Eocenecarnage

Do any of you know what North American ammonite biostratigraphic zone Baculites ovatus belongs in,

post-19165-0-32019000-1438354759_thumb.jpg

You mentioned Neil Larson's book in the other post, if you have a copy the answer is in there. I am at work and don't have my copy here, but I can check when I get home.

Don

I just thumbed through Larson's book...nothing in there about ovatus. It is apparently an eastern USA species, so not included in the book.

That paper is an American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) publication. One of my pet gripes is those guys refuse to make anything publicly accessible, not even papers that are decades old, unlike many other publishers. I also think they only have personal subscriptions, at least I know no University I have worked at has an institutional subscription. They charge $10 just to read a paper, and even more if you want to actually download a copy. There is a lot of info in those AAPG bulletins, they come up all the time when I'm doing literature searches, but I've never been able to access any of it. Whenever I see AAPG I think AARG!

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Well...at least you could read the first page on this one where the info that was sought is to be found. I guess that was their mistake, since they've known that since 1935 and haven't told anyone about it. ;)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Not to nitpick but how are you identifying this specimen if you don't know what zone it is from?

I know it is a bit chicken and egg. The species indicates the zone...and finding a specimen in that zone is likely the species.

Do you have specific collecting locale information? This is an early named taxon and a lot of other species were dumped into it and later assigned otherwise.