New Species Of Salenia? Anacacho Formation, Texas

Uncle Siphuncle

OK boys and girls, here is the freak echie I found while guiding the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science the other weekend. I found a treasure trove of echinoids in "Woehr's Waller" in South Texas and got the other guys on the cell phone and hollered that they needed to hurry their butts over before the urge to work the place solo took over. So I shared the take and was rewarded with an echie none of us had ever seen. Andrew Smith at the Echinoid Directory says this is probably a new species of Salenia. The Anacacho formation is Campanian in age, roughly 72-75 MYA (I should really look at my refs before throwing numbers around as I could be off a little). Now if I can find another it sure would be easier to make a donation.....

post-22-1238085304_thumb.jpg

post-22-1238085313_thumb.jpg

post-22-1238085332_thumb.jpg

post-22-1238085341_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Man that's nice....

Hope you get a positive ID

Could there be another naming in the future?

No echinoid left unnamed!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A piece of art to be sure. Your one lucky man. :drool:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

WOW that is exciting!

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

Ya done good son, ya done real good!

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

hmmm, i can't think of what to say. you've left me specieless.

there needs to be little spouts on everybody's computers so when stuff like this happens, you can enter a control code and buy a round of house for the drinks.

i bet that weird tooth you couldn't id a while back came from that salenia's mouth...

congrats.

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

I can see the top looks different from

the salenias I have seen.

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

I can see the top looks different from

the salenias I have seen.

WOWWWWwwwww! I want to find one. Let's see, you found it in Texas, so that narrows it down...hmmmm.

Hey, but I found two people on this thread that will probably have echinoids named after them. Extra credit????????

Congrats to both of you.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Woehr's Waller is in the vicinity of the Arroyo of Anonymity (or some watercourse like it) (or not) (you really didn't think I'd spill the beans, did you?) (Mua ha ha) (I am not yet done extracting my finders fee from this new site)

Grüße,

Woehr's Waller is in the vicinity of the Arroyo of Anonymity (or some watercourse like it) (or not) (you really didn't think I'd spill the beans, did you?) (Mua ha ha) (I am not yet done extracting my finders fee from this new site)

Is that next to the Hole of where the Heck am I? I didn't think you would spill the beans, but I was hoping you would spill the salenias so I could follow your trail (insert Mua ha ha here). B) Again, those are very cool.

Is that next to the Hole of where the Heck am I? I didn't think you would spill the beans, but I was hoping you would spill the salenias so I could follow your trail (insert Mua ha ha here). B) Again, those are very cool.

(ah-ha moment) Mike, I know it's in Texas, but I lost the trail of clues somewhere south of Dallas....hmmmm, I'll turn on the fossil radar in the hiking stick.....beepbeepssssstttaticcc. No use. He's jamming the site location again.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I was just looking at your Echinoid again and i am just astounded by the detail. Definitely mother nature at her best.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

It has 3 voids in the test and exhibits slight crushing underneath, but I'm not one to complain! The matrix was very soft so a good blast with baking soda was all it took to bring out its natural splendor....thanks for admiring my little gem!

Grüße,

Paging Mike Murphy.......where are you man?

Grüße,

It may be the new species Salenia woehri.

Salenia muahaha. B)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

WOWWWWwwwww! I want to find one. Let's see, you found it in Texas, so that narrows it down...hmmmm.

Hey, but I found two people on this thread that will probably have echinoids named after them. Extra credit????????

Congrats to both of you.

Thank you, John! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Dan:

Sorry that I am late in weighing in on this specimen, but it took me several days to get over the shock when I saw your echinoid! Actually, my work has been keeping me very busy, and I have only been able to make quick spot checks on the forum. I saw your post several days ago, but I wanted to research the specimen some prior to E-mailing you.

All that I can say is "Wowzer"!!! That is one gorgeous echinoid, especially for coming from the Anacacho. I have not seen an echinoid with that quality of preservation from the Anacacho. It has an amazing 3-D quality, which I have not seen in the Salenia species from the Anacacho. All of the Salenia specimens that I have seen from the Anacacho have some degree of flattening and crushing other than the holotypes of Cooke (1953) and Ikins (1940). I am sure that it represents a new species due to the degree of ornamentation on the apical system and the sculpting of the ocular and plates. The ornamentation is similar to that found on Hyposalenia, but the location of the periproct definitely identifies it as Salenia. The three identified species of Salenia from the Anacacho Formation all have pentagonal apical systems with little or no ornamentation. The Anacacho Salenia also have no sculpting of the apical plates except for Salenia pseudowhitneyi (Ikins, 1940).

In addition, it is unusual in that there are no primary tubercles on the interambulacral plates above the ambitus extending to the apical system. I know of no Cretaceous Salenia that has this absence of primary tubercles above the ambitus. It is most likely that most new species of echinoids will occur in the upper Cretaceous, especially in the Anacacho and Escondido. Keep us updated on the identification of the specimen.

Regards,

Mike